Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please help with my decision

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

please help with my decision

Not sure if I did the right thing, today I started using Lexington law firm but now after hiring them I'm not really sure if they can help me.
My score is about 602 across the boards I have three collection combined for 650$ total but I'm making payments on, I have one 300$ charge off that's almost three years old and I have about 18 inquiries.
I have a 750$ cap one quicksilver card 60% utilization for the last few month
A 4000$ personal loan that I just got
And a 12000$car loan that's a year old.
I do have 100% payment history
My problem is my credit wont go up it always stays the same Witch means I can't get a better credit card.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Re: please help with my decision

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if I did the right thing, today I started using Lexington law firm but now after hiring them I'm not really sure if they can help me.
My score is about 602 across the boards I have three collection combined for 650$ total but I'm making payments on, I have one 300$ charge off that's almost three years old and I have about 18 inquiries.
I have a 750$ cap one quicksilver card 60% utilization for the last few month
A 4000$ personal loan that I just got
And a 12000$car loan that's a year old.
I do have 100% payment history
My problem is my credit wont go up it always stays the same Witch means I can't get a better credit card.

I don't know that Lexington Law can do anymore than you can do for yourself. Essentially, they will dispute negative items on your credit report with each agency. 

You are not the first person to ask this question, however: 

Is Lexington Law good?

You may want to check out the Rebuilding Your Credit forum where folks who are rebuilding discuss their work on improving their credit score.

To improve your score, it's really important to know and understand what goes into making your FICO. Remember 35% of your score is dependent on your payment history, 30% on the amounts owed, 10% for credit mix, 10% for new credit, 10% for credit mix, and 15% for length of credit. 

Payment history represents a large chunk. I applaud your current 100% payment history, but what's hurting you in this category are your collections and charge, which indicate late/no payment for a period of time. I don't know if you negotiated pay for delete of these collections amounts for your collections, or if it is too late to do so. Continue to pay your obligations on time, and pay off those collections. Over time, the effects of these derogatories go lessen.

The other large chunk is the the amounts owed, and your utilization on your credit card is quite high. Typically, you can optimize this portion with 3 cards, allowing 1 report a balance of <8.99% monthly. Given your credit score, you may have to consider getting a secured credit card, which can graduate to a unsecured card in order to get to 3 cards.

You have a mix of credit, including installment loans and a credit card. You haven't mention how old your credit is, so it's hard to tell your score is affected by that. Finally, you have several inquiries with may be hurting you in the new credit portion of your score. 

I hope that helps. Rebuilding your FICO score can take a long time when you have some baddies on your record. Some things you can do now (lower uitilization) and keep doing (paying your bills, letting accoutns age), and some things will take a while (accounts aging, derogatories falling off your report, etc.)

Often, folks will say it's a marathon and not a sprint, but I think it's more of a slog, which can be fun and frustrating all at the same time.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, my credit is about 2.5 years old.My total debt is about 900$ the main reason I'm paying Lexington is to get ride off my hard inquiries.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, my credit is about 2.5 years old.My total debt is about 900$ the main reason I'm paying Lexington is to get ride off my hard inquiries.

@Anonymous

I deleted your other thread that you started in this forum as it is identical to this one.  Please do not cross or double post in different forums as it confusing to other members trying to assist you and is against forum rules. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hired Lexington Law about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. I seriously would've paid them twice what I've paid them so far. This is going to sound like I work for them, but I don't. Haha. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky few.

I was leary about hiring them, because I had hired a "credit repair company" a while back and they pretty much took my $750 and ran.

To be honest, I didn't expect to get much result with Lexington Law, because I had already taken all kinds of steps to dispute the accounts with both the creditors and the bureaus...disputed online, sent letters, and got nothing removed. (Getting sidetracked here, but I don't understand people on here who say you can do everything that places like Lexington Law can do. Obviously not.)

Anyway, in the past 6 months Lexington Law has gotten all of the negative items on my report removed -- about 10 different collections showing on all 3 bureaus. These were old collections, some I had paid, some I had not, as well as some late payments. (Right now I'm waiting on just one more $150 paid collection to be removed from Equifax that has already been removed from the other two bureaus.)

In the first two months, nothing was removed, then things just started flying off. There were a couple of times I don't even know how stuff was coming off, because I would get alerts from LL that they had sent debt validation requests to the creditor, then a week or so later the account was removed from my report...followed by the creditor sending the debt validation a week or two after it was removed. Haha. So I don't know... it seemed like LL was getting things removed even before the creditor had responded to their requests.

By the way my score went from a 520 to a 768 in the past 6 months.

Disclaimer: In that same 6 months I did pay off $10K in credit card debt which appears to have had the greatest impact on raising my score, not necessarily having the collection accounts removed. I went from like 84% debt to 31%. Experian "score estimator" says I'll be at an 808 if I pay off the remaining $3K in debt. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

the main reason I'm paying Lexington is to get ride off my hard inquiries.

Can you explain how/why they are doing this? Are they fraudulant inquiries?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Lex Law is more of a dispute factory....if all you're doing is trying to duck Inquires
I don't see what they do as the thing for your scenario, other folks that have negs, inaccurate info, things that can easily be challenged do better with Lex but INQ removal isn't their wheel house truth be told.

2) We won't talk about legit HPs being what they are
Meaning if one apped, they apped and they are legit, so 'removing' them requires being less than straight up
Plus with 18 even if 9 disappear it's still freaking 9 will a client be happy with half, even if half is still freaking high...it's almost a catch-22 of having a ticked off client... they'll pay their money even if a company gets 10 erased 8 still exist which is still high = same results for HP sensitive lenders = no way to win with said client, allow them to muff around on their own.

3) IMO credit repair is LESS the issue
Financial management is more at play
a) $600 in collections = so small just get 'er done

You don't have a gazillion collection accounts etc
But the management if reported debt utilization on that Cap-1 card is KILLING you...

You have a toy-builder CL of $750 and you're at 60%
You can NOT do that...the builder is for building history NOT to rack up utilization on a 'toy' account
STOP IT

Keep that card under 10% ( yes under $75) your goal is to show you're not thristy and in NEED of using 60% if a 'toy' to SURVIVE each month

The car loan is only a year old and the PL is new
Where did all these 18 HPs come from?
We're they legit pulls or did you get slammed at the auto dealer?
If it was auto shopping, it's no biggie you can get many of those squashed.

Otherwise it just seems you need to learn WHEN to pay, HOW to pay to look better on paper, again a matter on how to manage
Plus we want to add a few more revolvers to your profile to add to it's thickness and mix
Right now it's only 1 revolver and 2 installers, even a $200 Discover and a $300 CU Visa will put us over the hump

Especially, as we remember NOT to allow usage to report on them monthly

1 card with 10% or less 2 at zero
Along with the on-time payments on the PL and the auto loan
Allow to simmer on the stove for 6-9 months = life changed, period
Gotta play the sport the right way for a decent amount of months and the floodgates open, jump to soon and you keep spinning in place.

Not hard, use discipline and don't finch early and you'll be fine,just follow the rules pay on-time and watch your reported utilization numbers like a hawk.

Keep in mind high utilization = RISK and high risk = low score, even if paid on-time
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't touch on your 18 inquiries in my above post...

Lexington Law doesn't challenge or remove inquiries. They do have a feature when you log into your account that shows all of your inquires and you can click a button and print out a pre-written letter that you can send in to the creditor to challenge the inquiry. I did this and all of the companies (10-12) responded saying the inquiry was valid. Long story short, you're stuck with the inquiries for the 2-year duration.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't touch on your 18 inquiries in my above post...

Lexington Law doesn't challenge or remove inquiries. They do have a feature when you log into your account that shows all of your inquires and you can click a button and print out a pre-written letter that you can send in to the creditor to challenge the inquiry. I did this and all of the companies (10-12) responded saying the inquiry was valid. Long story short, you're stuck with the inquiries for the 2-year duration.

Yeah I just cancelled after day two, what's funny is that I called them from my cell phone number and I was on hold for 20min so I decided to use my girlfriends phone and boom it took 1min to talk to someone lol but yeah it's canceled now and I'm just going to pay my debt and get a discover pre payed card and chill for a while

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.