cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying From China Is in Fact Buying American ???

tag
veracious
Established Contributor

Buying From China Is in Fact Buying American ???

excerpt  from the article.........

Recently I had a heated exchange with my neighbor Johnny. Johnny believed that the U.S. unemployment rate, currently hovering above 9%, would become even worse. The culprit, according to him, was China. With boatloads of Chinese-made goods coming this way, and empty ships going the other way, Johnny argued, we ran a huge trade deficit. This effectively exported U.S. jobs to China while we were importing goods from there.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesleadershipforum/2011/12/22/buying-from-china-is-in-fact-buying-ame...

After I read this article and the accompanying comments,  I am curious about what other readers think.

I also found another article about iphones that stated the workers in China number 130,000 and they assemble 137,000 iphones

daily.

Thanks for any comments.

3 REPLIES 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Buying From China Is in Fact Buying American ???

Ok, wow?   What kind of comments are you looking for?

I am not a big shopper.   I think I only like food and gift shopping.

By choice, I do look at the labels to see where things were made.   And maybe by unconcious choice, I certainly buy American often.   But that is me.   I do, when given the chocie, often choose NOT to purchase something made in China.   Or grown in China.

Maybe by default, I am not supporting China or the US.  

Message 2 of 4
dobirdsmommy
Established Contributor

Read the book The World is Flat. You will get a different view on life.

I read it for my thesis in my business class. My thesis was that buying overseas would kill the American Economy. I wrote it in 2006.

building since 2011 Wallet:ME: Walmart 3k;Barclays Rewards 10k, Venture 18k; Slate 5k; Freedom 10k; overstock 4.8k, SGV2.5k; WEMC 20k 1.5 Rewards, Gamestop 1.2k, Fingerhut 3k; 2 NMAC Leases , VS 1.75k, BH 1.62k, Express 1.6k, Avenue 1.75k, JCrew 5k, HSN 1.47k, Torrid 1.55k, Roamans 1.4k, Jessica London 1.54k, kings direct 1.7k, Buckle 1.4k, WW 1.65k, ........ baddies:Fed Tax Lien
DH: 1750 capital one fh 2000, AU - VS, BH, HSN, WEMC, SPGV. Freedom, Slate, Venture, Barclays
Message 3 of 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I read that book a few years ago.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.