cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eating costs too much! Any good ideas for cheap foods?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Eating costs too much! Any good ideas for cheap foods?

Yup, just make sure you poke em just like a regular potato, lest they explode in your oven. Then smother them with molasses (lots of vitamins!), butter, cinnamon, nutmeg ... tasty like a mofo....
Message 11 of 35
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Dried beans are a godsend when you're broke. Cook them up yourself and they cost practically pennies on the dollar compared to ones you get in a can. Cheap and healthy. Get a big bag and it'll feed you for a long time.
Message 12 of 35
demi
Established Contributor

You can brown ground turkey or beef, add stewed tomatoes, onions, garlic, whatever you have...add some water or broth and throw in rice or noodles and simmer covered until rice or noodles are cooked.  My mothers version of Hamburger Helper, long before there was such a thing...she called it slop.

I also love sweet potatoes and yams, but I peel and cut up, roast in a HOT oven in a heavy pan with a little olive oil,lots of cloves of garlic with skin on, and rosemary, after about 20 minutes pour in some chicken broth, and cook until done and evaporated....is actually from a weight watchers cookbook.

Rotissere chickens at the grocery store are usually less expensive than buying and cooking yourself.  Cook rices in broth or boullion cubes instead of buying mixes.  Shop bulk...I live alone, but my Mom and I will go in together on stuff from Costco and split.

Pasta is a real $$$ saver.

Like someone else said, cooking yourself from scratch is a real money saver.  I love to cook, so its not a problem.  I had 8 people for dinner Saturday, had stuffed filet mignon, Scalloped potatoes, Asparagus and a cheese fondue pumpkin, spent about $80 bucks for the meal beacause most of it was bought at Costco.  Of course, still not a cheap meal, but could have been a lot more expensive.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was at the grocery store last night. Cans of soup to bring to work, 2 bags of bagels, and a loaf of raisin bread.

Our office doesn't have a toaster, so I bought one this weekend at an outlet mall. $10. Ours at home died so I bought a 4 slice toaster for home. $15. These were new in box.

Figure I can do cheap breakfast on bagels and toast and soup for lunch. 

Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some might disagree, but I think gardens are overrated. DW insisted on dropping money into a garden last spring. We have 5 fruit trees, which perhaps will start bearing fruit next year. Got some strawberries outta the patch, and it was probably the most productive. Tomatoes didn't do very well. Corn was pretty good. Raspberries should start producing next year. Squash was OK. Onions were OK.

Lotta money and a lotta work. Payoff doesn't seem worth it. Maybe over the years it will even out. 

Message 15 of 35
demi
Established Contributor

I agree on the garden issue...but to me there is at least one thing worth growing at home - Tomatoes.  If you can grow them, there is nothing as good.  And they were very expensive in the stores this summer, even here in the land of Sacratomato.

Another idea is to check out your grocery stores online...mine has some pretty amazing coupons they send.  I am not a coupon clipper, but these are for 10 dollars off, last weekend a 20 dollars off on anything in the store.  I also got a free floral bouquet.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 35
Bella1980
Established Contributor

What works for me and my family is cookup rice. You get some rice, chicken, coconut milk and black eyed peas and boil it all together in a pot (chicken should already be cooked with seasoning) and it lasts a long time and tastes better after each day.

Also, make a big lasgana and freeze what you don't eat in individual wrappings...microwave when you want a meal with salad.

Grow your own tomatoes and other spices, fruits and herbs if you can...saves lots of money.

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 35
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Skillet Dinner - 1 pan:

~1 lb. ground beef (I pay more for ground sirloin because the other, cheaper stuff cooks down to nothing).

1 can creamy mushroom soup

1 can beef broth or French Onion soup

1 med. onion (optional if using FO soup), chopped

salt/pepper

Dash of Tabasco or other hot sauce

1/2 package of No Yolks egg noodles

Brown beef and onion (if used) w/a dash of salt and pepper in large skillet.  Drain off fat.  Return to heat.  Stir in both soups and hot sauce.  Mix well.  Once well-mixed, stir in egg noodles and approx. 1 soup can of water.  Turn heat to low and simmer,stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender (15-20 mins, maybe a bit less, depending on heat setting).  Serves at least 5-6 (unless you dish out huge helpings).

Cheesy-Beef-n-Potato Skillet Dinner

1 lb. ground beef

1 med. onion, chopped

1 can cheddar cheese soup

1 soup can (approx.) of milk or water

1 can cooked sliced potatoes, drained

Dash of hot sauce

Brown beef and onion in large skillet.  Drain off fat.  Return to heat.  Stir in cheddar cheese soup and milk or water.  Stir in potatoes and hot sauce.  Simmer 15-20 minutes.  Serves 5-6

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

what's harder to do less expensive is eating for 1 or 2 instead of 4 or more since prepackaged is so expensive and  i can't tell you how many items bought for a recipe have gone bad because i don't need the whole thing.  since it's just me and my man i don't pay as much attention to what i buy as to where i buy it. 

shop and save offers $10 off your bill if you spend more than $50.  some farmers markets have better prices, some don't.

buy kurtz ketchup instead of heintz

don't be afraid to go veggie every now and then

i've cut my grocery bill deep by shopping at save a lot for most of my groceries. 

good luck!

Message 19 of 35
Scamp
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

what's harder to do less expensive is eating for 1 or 2 instead of 4 or more since prepackaged is so expensive and  i can't tell you how many items bought for a recipe have gone bad because i don't need the whole thing.  since it's just me and my man i don't pay as much attention to what i buy as to where i buy it. 

There's just me, and I still make the recipes I posted above - I just either eat 'em all week or eat it for one meal and freeze the rest for later use.  Smiley Wink

Cooking in bulk like that is always more economical, but yep - you do have to kinda pick and choose which 'big' recipes you do, to avoid throwing out expensive, unused, leftover ingredients, and only do those that use ingredients that'll keep between times or that you use in other stuff regularly. 

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.