Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever had a DNA test done?

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone ever had a DNA test done?

I'm not talking as part of a paternity determination or criminal investigation.

I mean for ancestry reasons. Several months ago I sent off for a DNA kit to give me some idea of where my ancestors are from. Some of the countries I knew about but there were a couple of surprises.

DNA.JPG

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had a DNA test done?

That's actually really cool! Where did you get the DNA kit from? I would be interested in knowing where my ancestry stemmed from. 

Message 2 of 13
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Cool. I had a test from 23andme.com back when the government allowed them to report both ancestry and medical results. I'm more interested in the medical than the ancestry part (which mostly confirmed what I already knew, though there were a couple of surprises as with MarineVietVet), but either way they've been a great company to deal with.

They continue to keep contact with people who've been tested to engage them in various surveys about various traits and habits. Very enlightening.

I hope the government will get out of their way and let them report medical results for new testees again soon. Finding out my genetic advantages and disadvantages for different conditions was the best part.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

MarineVietVet - yeah good story Smiley Wink Thanks for giving us your life story we entered it in the National Data base ... "big brother is watching". As a Vet you know this is flirting with ...?

Message 4 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@macuserftw wrote:

That's actually really cool! Where did you get the DNA kit from? I would be interested in knowing where my ancestry stemmed from. 

I got mine at ancestry.com but 23andme also has them.

Message 5 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Spider15 wrote:

MarineVietVet - yeah good story Smiley Wink Thanks for giving us your life story we entered it in the National Data base ... "big brother is watching". As a Vet you know this is flirting with ...?

Time to take off your tin foil hat.  Smiley Wink

The guvmant doesn't need a DNA test to know all about me.

I'm sure I'm on more than one list already. No worries on my part.

Message 6 of 13
Boragard
Established Contributor

Yes I just got my results March 10th...Very cool!

Message 7 of 13
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

I was thinking about getting these for awhile, it seems really neat.  Seeing someone elses little graph cinches it for me. Ill have to save up a bit so I can buy one for my wife as well.  Would like to do the kids but I think the coolness would be lost on them Smiley Tongue

Will be nice to finally have documented proof I am some royal of some country that needs me back!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

MarineVietVet - my lips are sealed Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 13
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Apparently my parents have not been telling Fibs - I really am British with odd little bits of German and Scandinavian thrown in.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.