cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's everyone's "New Years Resolution" for 2017? Any goals?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's everyone's "New Years Resolution" for 2017? Any goals?

Buying land and building a second house.  NO CC apps of any kind (easy to say since i snuck in and got the CSR).

Message 21 of 37
iced
Valued Contributor

I would love to be able to tighten my budget and lower my spending so I can raise my savings. My current target is to increase my annual contributions into savings/retirement from 39% of gross to 45% of gross.

Message 22 of 37
azguy13
Senior Contributor

My goal is to start rebuilding post-BK7 discharge and make sure I keep up with all DW's medical bills. As long as I stay within my new budget I will be fine. 

Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

My plan is to dramatically spend more of my time giving....my opinion.

Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don' t have any plan for credit. I have all the cards I want and got the mortgage I wanted this year. 2017 will be for paying off my Lowe's card before the 0% ends, paying off my last student loan, and continuing to stick to and tighten my budget so that I can increase my savings.

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

No more cards for a while try to double my savings
Message 26 of 37
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Credit wise, well my credit world completely revolved around getting a mortgage which I did in 2015, and to state I've been credit aimless for the past 1.5 years is likely a massive understatement (at least compared to my zealous pursuit in the years leading up to mortgage).

I learned something maybe important for me anyway though this past week, so I want to address that to do better in the future: my life doesn't follow predictable patterns unless I just sit on my ass and do nothing.  Case in point, I picked up a HELOC which will be nothing but goodness for when I have a cashflow shortfall in the future but true to my credit view of the past, if I'm going to take one tradeline, I might as well pick up a few more.

So I did, added a Chase FU because it furthers my UR earning, picked up the Citi Costco because it's a great Sallie Mae backup, I got the Costco relationship anyway, and I did sort of want to open up the additional front if Chase falls apart (not that I expect it to but they've whacked other people before) and a stupid little Discover Secured card with a $200 limit so I could test some FICO things because our understanding of individual tradeline utilization is really really poor which I've never understood.  Don't complain, go try to fix it right?

Anyway, my life may be shifting: from sitting on my ass after my work from home (read as, work from school) gig fell apart, and then school went sideways... and wouldn't you know it there's a job I'm eminently qualified for, headed towards the final interview round, with 50% international travel all over the world two weeks at a time.  Kind of a mid-life crisis type response but when I have nothing going on in my life right now, hell, who am I kidding, if they make the offer at like half the listed salary I'd still take it.

What this lead to though credit wise: the CSR got released as pretty much one of the premiere travel cards period, but I'm not confident of being able to obtain it (though I could undoubtedly PC to it), and this is because I've opened a couple frivolous tradelines which really haven't worked out as well as they should've; really I should term them as not as productive as they should be.

So my lesson learned, and my New Years Resolution for 2017: no more random apps picking them up spree style (been pretty good not chasing the various FOTM, but once I make an app, not so good on restraint from additional apps); I have enough tradelines, I don't need more so hold onto my credit report sans inquiries for as long as needed in order to put myself in a place where when my life inevitably shifts, I can simply pickup whatever credit card or loan product I need in order to facilitate that... or in this case leverage a potentially dumb amount of rewards completely legitimately.

        
Message 27 of 37
Simply827
Established Contributor

My goal for 2017 is to pay down debt. I finally have everything at a decent interest rate, so the process should go along faster. To facilitate this, I'm going to add additional streams of income in the new year. I may be haggard, but it will be worth it. My stretch goal is to be CC debt free by the end of the year. It's not a small sum, but if I work hard, it's totally doable. 

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 28 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very happy with where Im at. No apps unless a remarkable new card comes out offering 4% or more on an untapped category. Will request soft pull increases, but no other planned changes. My scores are low to mid 700's, depending who you ask.. I'm hoping to end next year in at least the 760-780 range, providing me with the best rates avail from most lenders for any future needs. There's a mortgage somewhere on the horizon, my goal is to have all inquiries dropped off and to be in the best position possible when that time arrives
Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

lmfao> i wish i could give you a kudos. Im on that boat with you

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.