Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Student Loans.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Student Loans.

I enrolled in DeVry University back in 2007. During my enrollment (2007-2011) I opened up 21 accounts of student loans which add up to a grand total of $50,958.00

What I would like to know is how those loans affect my credit score, be it negatively or positively.

All of the loans are currently in deferment and in OK standing according to my TU report.

(I am a new poster btw. I found this forum out of sheer luck!)

Feel free to share your outstanding student loan debt so we could share our pain Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about Student Loans.

@Anonymous wrote:

I enrolled in DeVry University back in 2007. During my enrollment (2007-2011) I opened up 21 accounts of student loans which add up to a grand total of $50,958.00

What I would like to know is how those loans affect my credit score, be it negatively or positively.

All of the loans are currently in deferment and in OK standing according to my TU report.

(I am a new poster btw. I found this forum out of sheer luck!)

Feel free to share your outstanding student loan debt so we could share our pain Smiley Happy

Welcome to the forums!  Smiley Happy

Well, while that is a large number of accounts, so long as they are reporting positively, you're fine.  Installment debt is a small part of your FICO score, so it won't hurt you as much as you might expect.  You might get a flag sometimes for having too many accounts with balances, but it's nothing to stress about.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good to me. Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

Throughout undergrad and grad school, I also accumulated a decent amount of loans.  The number hasn't ever affected my score in a negative fashion.  As long as they are reporting "paid as agreed," you should be fine.  I think I had about 11 all together.  I recently consolidated them all, using the fed direct loan consolidation.  This also had little to no impact on my FICO scores.  I didn't notice any decrease in scores after this happened.

Also, if they are all reporting satisfactory, they provide a number of accounts in good standing to your report that will all age over time and add to your AAoA.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.