Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any harm in applying to early?

tag
hardworkpaysoff
Established Member

Any harm in applying to early?

Is there any harm in applying too early, just to see what you would be approved at? I'm not interested in purchasing until August, but I really would like to see what my approval would be at right now.

Latest FICO Score(s): EQ 726 (Lender, 6/13), EX 672 (Dealer, v3 Auto, 5/13), TU 702 (Dealer, Auto 04, 5/13)

U.S. Bank Cash Rewards ($1000), Capital One Visa Platinum ($750), Discover it for Students ($650), American Express Green (NPSL), DCU Visa Platinum ($3000).
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
spudbro
Valued Member

Re: Any harm in applying to early?

@hardworkpaysoff wrote:

Is there any harm in applying too early, just to see what you would be approved at? I'm not interested in purchasing until August, but I really would like to see what my approval would be at right now.

I wouldn't apply right now if you are considering buying in August. There is no point in taking hard pull inquiry and possibly losing points when you are going to have to apply again when your ready to purchase since it is so far out.

Message 2 of 3
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

Re: Any harm in applying to early?

Loan approvals are generally good for 90-days.  So, if you're going to purchase within 90-days, go ahead and obtain an approval.  If not, then wait until closer to your purchase window.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.