Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Insurance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Insurance

@Anonymous wrote:

Late 20's, male, rural small town northern Michigan, no points or accidents, 750 ficos, have a CDL-A and chauffeur, no insurance history.. 

They are wanting mid 200's a month for basically any car for legal minimum insurance- rediculous..

I figure my only problem is having no insurance history so maybe getting motorcycle insurance in my name for a year or 2 would solve the history problem as cheaply as possible?

I also thought about starting with classic car insurance to get some history as cheaply as possible.. Or a motorhome? 

I have a bike, a motorhome, and a bunch of cars. All paid for, never had any auto loan or any loan other than an alliant ss loan to build credit.. 

I just need to break into getting my own insurance..

As a previous poster stated, the biggest issue in your price is the state that you live in.  I live in Michigan and work in the insurance industry, you are not going to get insurance for cheap.  It doesn't matter if you have a long history or not, Michigan's PIP laws will cause you to have high insurance.  You are just going to have to suck it up and get insurance, once you have it for 6 months you can start shopping around for better carriers.  After that 6 months the better carriers won't force you to pay in full and give you a little bit better rates ( not much though).

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

For sure shop around. I was with USAA and then they tried raising my rates even as I got older, and my rates should have gone down. BYE FELICIA. I am 21 drive a 2011 Toyota paid for and carry comprehensive and liability for about $70 a month through GEICO. Ever other company wanted $200+ a month. 

For reference I live in rural Missouri and I am 21. I have had Geico for a year though and they have never raised my rate. 

Message 12 of 15
MitchDeerfield
Regular Contributor

Michigan residents must carry liability insurance, personal property protection (known as PPI) and personal injury protection (known as PIP).

PPI pays to fix damage you cause to others’ property, such as a fence or garage, while driving, or damage you cause to others’ parked cars. PIP primarily covers injuries that you and your passengers suffer in a crash, no matter who caused the incident.

PIP doesn’t have any minimum limit to choose; the coverage is unlimited in Michigan if needed. However, you must select at least the following amounts of liability insurance and personal property protection:

• $20,000 bodily injury liability per person.
  • $40,000 bodily injury liability per incident.
  • $10,000 property damage liability per incident.
  • $1 million PPI.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Late 20's, male, rural small town northern Michigan, no points or accidents, 750 ficos, have a CDL-A and chauffeur, no insurance history.. 

They are wanting mid 200's a month for basically any car for legal minimum insurance- rediculous..

Well, in order to register vehicles in my name where I live. I would need to show proof of Insurance. So I'm guesing all of your vehicles are not street legal?  I would just use one of the newest safest cars you currently own, and insure it for the minimum amount possible until the 6 month mark. Auto and Motorcycle are not the same thing. 

Unfortunatley there is no way around this issue, if you want to drive legally that is. You'll just have to bite the bullet initially, and wait it out for better rates later on. Side note, you may also be eligable for a multicar discount by insuring more than one Auto on the policy.

I get a break for insuring two cars, so I have basic liablity on my mom's old Minivan that sits in the driveway. Saves me about $40 per month.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Illegally" was mentioned because of state minimum coverage laws - if you have driven owned cars without minimum coverage you technically broke the law.  If you were to get pulled over for any reason and couldn't show proof of insurance you would have legal consequences as well as much higher rates to get insurance to be able to drive again.  Insurance is required for all cars a person drives, not just those bought on loans.  Definitely after your first 6 months of coverage you should be able to shop around for a lower price.  And WOW $200 for basic coverage is crazy, glad prices aren't that bad where I live.  Sheesh.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.