Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan With Low Income

tag
Xocifymx

Auto Loan With Low Income

Dear Friends,

Is there a way to get an auto loan with an income of $1200 a month without a co-signer?

I spend less than half of my income on my bills and that includes a 10% monthly donation. I guess being a boring, grungy, raggedy Ole man helps with the spending.

I plan on putting down almost half but maintaining a few grand for emergencies.

I have an 783 FICO and a strong money management culture.

I thank you in advance for your courteous reply

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Auto Loan With Low Income

It's going to really depend greatly on what you're trying to buy, and how much you're trying to finance.

Message 2 of 13
Xocifymx

I primarily want a ~$30K '24 Chevy Equinox, my second choice is a $26K '23 Chevy Bolt both with about half down

Message 3 of 13
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@Xocifymx wrote:

I primarily want a ~$30K '24 Chevy Equinox, my second choice is a $26K '23 Chevy Bolt both with about half down

It's going to come down to your DTI ratio with the car payment factored in. If your monthly debt obligations such as rent/mortgage, etc (things like utilities and groceries aren't included) and the new car payment are under, or around 36% of your gross income, then you should have a good chance of approval. If your DTI approaches, or goes over the 50% mark, your chances go down. But, being you're putting half the purchase price down could also possibly sway things in your favor, depending on the lender.

Message 4 of 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

If you have $10k in cash, they will find a way to finance you.

Make sure to watch that interest rate!

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 13
fury1995
Valued Contributor

A couple of quick questions first. What is your before tax (not your take home) income monthly? Are you paid a standard salary weekly / biweekly? Or are you hourly? Who are you banking with now? Is your down payment from your personal savings or from someone else?

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 6 of 13
Xocifymx

$1,212 a month - $14,544 a year,

I am retired with a low income so I don't pay income taxes

Message 7 of 13
805orbust
Valued Contributor

50% down is a HUGE plus. I don't think you'll have an issue either way.  That's a comparatively small amount of risk for them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I would try to do a pre-qualification with your credit union or bank first. The dealer will for sure get you approved but of course pull your credit 30 times during the process (slight exaggeration there)

Message 8 of 13
Xocifymx

I have about $23K in loans that stay around 3% utilization, also my score was 823.

As I understand it, when we apply for an auto loan all of the lenders that they apply to in our name should count as one.

I have about seven hard inquiries 😕

I am waiting for the EV incentives program to get funding. They say that they will be giving up to $9K for a down payment and a few grand in rebates.

I think that it is on a first come first served basis

Message 9 of 13
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

It sounds like you should be in the market for a cheaper used vehicle thats a few years old, you can still  find dependable used cars, do your research. Chevy isnt high on the lists for reliability, even brand new they dont make them the same anymore unfortunately.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.