Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Refinance merry go round

tag
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Auto Refinance merry go round

Currently trying to refinance my high interest car loan, so I've Penfed and Bank Of America have been a no go. At the moment waiting to get an answer back from Ally Clearlane. I pre qualified with them for 7.99% APR. 

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
18 REPLIES 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Auto Refinance merry go round

What is your current loan situation - APR, balance, remaining payments ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 19
MrFiah
New Contributor

Good luck, since clearlane is a marketplace and not a lender it can take a few days to get things set up and another few days to get funding....most reviews are poor....one customer reports that they paid clearlane but clearlane (or the lender) didnt make the payments for two months so they got hit with finance charges....

Message 3 of 19
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

My current loan was opened January 2021 before i really started building my credit up so got hit with the subprime rate of 21% 72 month loan $504 a month with Capital One. Looks like no soup for me yet. Just trying to get refinanced with a single digit APR and lower my car payment. No offers available from Penfed or Clearlane now, denied by Bank Of America. 

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665

Message 4 of 19
sccredit
Valued Contributor

IMO I would try DCU. Your scores may not qualify for their lowest rates yet but you should be able to qualify for decent rates based on the scores in your signature

Message 5 of 19
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Unfortunately i'm not eligible to join DCU. 

Message 6 of 19
MrFiah
New Contributor

@Mdowning30 wrote:

My current loan was opened January 2021 before i really started building my credit up so got hit with the subprime rate of 21% 72 month loan $504 a month with Capital One. Looks like no soup for me yet. Just trying to get refinanced with a single digit APR and lower my car payment. No offers available from Penfed or Clearlane now, denied by Bank Of America. 

Wow, that's a tough spot to be in.  Over the course of the loan, you'll be paying almost as much in interest as the original principle.  Are you upside down on the car yet? If not, might be better off just getting rid of it.  I know you commented on a post of mine about how a $20,000 down payment would be better off in the stock market but this is a prime example of why I would use a big down payment.  To get more favorable loan terms, avoid the high interest, being underwater and just knowing if something comes up I'm okay.  Best of luck.

Message 7 of 19
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

With the used car market up right now, i think my car would only be under water maybe $500-$1000. I have a 2015 Camry XSE V6 so it might still have some equity.

Message 8 of 19
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@MrFiah wrote:

@Mdowning30 wrote:

Wow, that's a tough spot to be in.  Over the course of the loan, you'll be paying almost as much in interest as the original principle.  Are you upside down on the car yet? If not, might be better off just getting rid of it.  I know you commented on a post of mine about how a $20,000 down payment would be better off in the stock market but this is a prime example of why I would use a big down payment.  To get more favorable loan terms, avoid the high interest, being underwater and just knowing if something comes up I'm okay.  Best of luck.

@MrFiah  asked a very good question.

I am curious as to how you are not eligible to join DCU.

In another of your post you have, "I have a 2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6 with fairly low miles that I'm still paying off I'm happy with it ..."

Is this 2015 Toyota the very same vehicle we are discussing?

Have you researched and viewed rates of CUs local to you?  If not, I think this would be a very good idea.

I believe more than half, but not all FI, especially banks look to charge a higher interest rate for older vehicles.  My preference is to obtain financing from a credit union and not a bank when searching for rates concerning automobiles. 

Now, back to discussing DCU eligibility.  I thought DCU was still open to everyone through association with other organizations.  I would revisit their list of participating organizations DCU has on its website.

• Reach Out for Schools – A non-profit membership organization that raises money to fund classrooms and programs that benefit students. Most of the funds that we raise are used to adopt classrooms through Adopt-a-Classroom and to fund projects through Donors Choose. These programs allow teachers to purchase classroom resources with donated funds. You may join this organization when you open your DCU membership.

Memberships start at $10

Reach Out for Schools, PO Box 290, Tyngsborough, MA 01879

Edit:  sorry for the delayed response I thought I sent this post before turning my attention back to other things.  Today is just dragging our for me... ugh!

Message 9 of 19
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Unfortunately out of DCU's long list of companies and localities, Im not eligible living in Miami, FL. Yes it's pertaining to the 2015 Camry. ATM in the process of finalizing with an offer from Tower Federal Credit Union.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.