Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan Denial...

tag
scrubboy

Auto loan Denial...

Hey Fico Family,

I was recently denied credit from Capitol one, bank of America , navy federal, and pen federal yesterday.  I currently make about 45,000 grand annually and have an Fico equifax score of 640. I currently have 2 car loans one with navy federal for 590 a month with a balance of 6200 and another with with Columbia Credit Union for 540 a month. I was trying to trade the Columbia Credit union loan in om a new car for 32000 grand but got denied by every bank I applied.. I need help why and thanks again

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
IamB2
Established Contributor

Re: Auto loan Denial...

@scrubboy wrote:

Hey Fico Family,

I was recently denied credit from Capitol one, bank of America , navy federal, and pen federal yesterday.  I currently make about 45,000 grand annually and have an Fico equifax score of 640. I currently have 2 car loans one with navy federal for 590 a month with a balance of 6200 and another with with Columbia Credit Union for 540 a month. I was trying to trade the Columbia Credit union loan in om a new car for 32000 grand but got denied by every bank I applied.. I need help why and thanks again

This would be a tough sell. Without knowing the payment history for your other two loans, the income alone would not qualify you for a loan on a $32,000 vehicle + any balance remaining after trade in value if there is an.

Say the car you want to trade in is valued at $6,000 and your remaining balance on that loan is $5,000. That leaves you a total of $1,000 for a trade in value. So you would finance $31,000 for the new car. At 6% on 72 month loan your payments would be $513.76 (I am using 6% as a logical possibility based on your current monthly payments - assuming they aren't the most favorite terms. You could be getting a higher rate). Plus your other car in the amount of $590/month you are looking at $1,103.76/month in just car payments. Let's say conservatively another $250 in insurance for both vehicles, we are looking at $1,353.76/mo just the vehicles. 

At your current income level you make about $3750 before taxes. At 15% tax rate, you are looking at take home pay of $3,188. Your car payments alone would be 34% of your take home pay. (42% of your take home pay if you count insurance estimation).

Needless to say, this does not account for gas, any potential mechanical issues which need to be addressed down the road etc. 

Also, these figures could go up if the balance on the loan is greater than the value of the car. 

I know wanting the newest car is a want, and sometimes we want what we want. I just got a new car. My income is similar to yours (slightly less at $42K), and I was really concerned financing more than $17,000 on a car. I negotiated the price down to where the financed amount ended up being $17,200. At these income levels, I would never consider financing a car at $32,000. Needless to say, if I were a bank, I would not be willing to take that chance.

Just my opinion. Hope that helps.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 2 of 6
scrubboy

thanks

Message 3 of 6
TeamBMW

lamB2, is right on the money. I have been working as a car salesman for the last 3 years, it seems that you currently do not debt for a payment of that many cars in your credit profile. Banks take your total gross income and times that number by 15%. So for example, if you gross $4000 a month you would debt for a payment of $600. That is just for a single car. If you want to add another car to your profile it would be a tough deal without some serious cash down, and or a strong co signer. You would have to debt for all payments to have two larger auto payments monthly for a bank to approve you. 

This is just my experience, but of course not fact, so hey maybe you could get lucky. But I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Rebuilding | Started: 450 TU 499 EQ 495 EX - (06/2013) Current: 627 TU 571 EQ 602 EX (03/2014) | Goal: 720 across the board. I WILL GET THERE!
Message 4 of 6
Fandi

What has been said I 100% right. Food of thought for you and the dealer you're working with,

Have they attempted to roll the balance of the one loan you're keeping into the car you're trying to purchase. Loan to value is a big consideration on this type of deal, and also is the credit file. DTI is the hardest thing to come over, so many times you have to take every bit of loan to value available and roll in as much current debt possible to get the DTI and PTI to equal out. Say the book value the bank uses is $30,000. Some banks will finance 130%. That is $9,000 of extra money.

I can't say this is something for your situation. I just know it's always been practiced. 

Age = 24
March 2014 = 728 EX, 733 EQ, 714 TU
2YR # INQ = 12 - Last Inquiry = 8/13
1 Open Installment | 2 Closed Installment
Brooks Brothers $900 | Chase Slate $400 | Elan Financial Services $8,500 | First Interstate Bank $6,500
Credit to Debt Utilization Ratio = Continuous 2% | DTI = 9%
Bureau Age = 5 Years | Total Trade Lines = 7 | Average Age = 15 Months
Goal = 760
Message 5 of 6
Remember0
Valued Contributor

In this case, a dealer might be helpful due to the trade situation. Though you have to be VERY careful because there's no other quote you have...make sure you negotiate the rate they give you down. Or you know, you could just say you want <8% as that's what you currently have with (insert big bank here). With a 640+ FICO (ask them what they pulled), I'd go for <8% (really 6-7%). If 680+, I'd shoot for <5% (really 3-5% if used, 0-3% if new).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.