Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto loan question

I'm looking to get an auto loan pre-approval. I had looked for one in July but didn't buy the car as I went with building the car instead and the pre-approval expired sooner. Initially, got approved by NFCU for 60,000. Now that my car is due for delivery in roughly 2 weeks and I'm looking to get another pre-approval. I would like to ask if I should be able to obtain the loan with the data I'm including below. If I were to apply with NFCU again, do you think they might approve me again?

Thanks and appreciate any insight.

Credit Score: Equifax 08: 673, Experian 08: 671, Transunion 08: 675

AAoA: 3 years 3 months

# of positive trade lines: 12

# of negative trade lines: 1 charged-off that will fall off next year.

Income: 84K annually

Lenght of Employment: 13 years

Previous Loan Experience: Had 2 car loans, the first one, 2006-2012, had Repo but off the report and late payments 60,90 days. The 2nd car loan, 2014 - July 2017 had a flawless record with no lates until I got into a totaled accident where the insurance paid the rest of the loan balance.

Current Utilities: 14%

Debt-to-Income (DTI): 8-9 %

Inquiries: 8-9

Year of Car: 2018

Miles: 0

Purchase/Refinance: 59,500 / Purchase

Requested loan term (XX Months): 72 - 84 months

Down payment amount: 3,000

Co-borrower/Co-Signer: none

Other: My credit score might rise by 20-25 points across the board in a few days as I did the Alliant CU SSL technique to boost the scores as I went without an installment loan for a few months and scores dropped.

19 REPLIES 19
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto loan question

Whats the difference in your reports and scores now vs your last preapproval with NFCU?

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The biggest difference is the credit score. When I applied back in July my scores at that time were:

Ex: 681

Eq: 680

Tu: 691

Inquiries: 5-6

Obviously, the scores dropped was from the auto loan being dropped from the report. My scores are lower now so it makes me feel nervous to apply and get rejected. Thanks.

Message 3 of 20
sccredit
Valued Contributor

IMO you'll be fine

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

a 60k car on 84k income is going to wreak havoc on your DTI

buying a car that you can only afford by going 72-84 months is generally a very bad idea

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you get turned down you will look back on it in a year or two and consider it a blessing. A 60K car loan? even if you make twice your salary it would be too much car debt. 10% of take home pay for no more than 48 months is the usual safe guideline. 

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you get turned down you will look back on it in a year or two and consider it a blessing. A 60K car loan? even if you make twice your salary it would be too much car debt. 10% of take home pay for no more than 48 months is the usual safe guidline. 

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

SteelerNYC & mursemanit,

I appreciate your insight and advise. I agree for that amount of a loan for is large for my credit profile. I may have left out some information since I was asking for suggestions for the loan approval itself. I don't pay rent as I'm still staying with my parents so the my current DTI (8-9%) and post loan creation DTI (30-35%) will still put me in a comfort space. 

If I was paying my own rent or mortgage which is the biggest spending factor, I wouldn't dare to go ever pass 30K loan. 

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're young and dream of being wealthy, you can literally become a millionaire quicker by avoiding auto loans than by almost any other method.  I'm in my early 40s and fully retired and I got there by avoiding auto loans after my early 20s.

If you get a "really cool fast hot car" at age 25 and get a loan for $50,000 at 5% over 72 months to pay for it, you will pay about $57,000 total for that car -- not too bad.  But if you drive a $2500 beater instead and invest that $944 payment every month for 72 months in stocks that return 7% on average, at the end of 72 months you'll have $84,000 in investments.  Keep buying $2500 beaters instead of fancy hot cars and keep making a $944 "car payment" to your stock portfolio.

After 12 years, you'll have $212,000.  After 18 years you'll have $407,000.  24 years = $703,000.  30 years = $1.2 million.

That's just avoiding driving a fancy car and sticking with a beater.

The guy who drives a fancy car all 30 years is left with trade-in value at the end of it.  The guy who drove a beater has over a million by age 50.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ABCD2199

Now, sir, you are throwing me off my feet with that advise. There's no better stretegic financial planning than that. I will keep your wise words in mind. My retirement score is Good, but the retirement age is nowhere near yours. 

Hmm.......

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.