Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Approach to get new car?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Approach to get new car?

One dealership did approve a loan with a pretty good interest rate. 

Though he said that checking approval at each dealership would hurt credit score, I've heard that's not true. That if you do it within a certain time frame it's considered one?

Message 11 of 12
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Re: Best Approach to get new car?

@jim44 wrote:

@Dj4Money wrote:

I've been quoted $500 below invoice but this is on a domestic and it's doubtful Honda dealers would do that, UNLESS it's at the end of the month. Well, we're at the end of the month.

Go in hard, start at invoice, Truecar is fairly accurate. Shop all the dealers in your area as far as your willing to go. I also agree to go in pre-qualified and make Honda Finance beat it.

The only issue with TrueCar is they are known to included factory rebates, incentives and other discounts you may not qualify for in their low price quote. The dealer also has to pay TrueCar for their referral which the dealer adds into the price of the car.  Also a dealer they send you to might not have the car you've chosen in stock.  CU are about the best route, and it doesn't hurt to go into the dealer prequalified.  Just tell tell them that you have your own financing right from the start. Some dealers like Auto Nation and Sonic are starting their own online car buying so you may be able to see the price of the car you want before you enter the dealership. 

@jim44 wrote:

@Dj4Money wrote:

I've been quoted $500 below invoice but this is on a domestic and it's doubtful Honda dealers would do that, UNLESS it's at the end of the month. Well, we're at the end of the month.

Go in hard, start at invoice, Truecar is fairly accurate. Shop all the dealers in your area as far as your willing to go. I also agree to go in pre-qualified and make Honda Finance beat it.

The only issue with TrueCar is they are known to included factory rebates, incentives and other discounts you may not qualify for in their low price quote. The dealer also has to pay TrueCar for their referral which the dealer adds into the price of the car.  Also a dealer they send you to might not have the car you've chosen in stock.  CU are about the best route, and it doesn't hurt to go into the dealer prequalified.  Just tell tell them that you have your own financing right from the start. Some dealers like Auto Nation and Sonic are starting their own online car buying so you may be able to see the price of the car you want before you enter the dealership. 

You can turn off all the incentives and it just leaves the price. On the top of the page under the car you picked click incentives....

They seldom pass the referral onto you, even if they do knock another $200-$300 off the car to compensate or get a free perk like oil changes. 

Dealers can get any car in their network for you in as little as a day.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.