cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carmax Pre Approval

Joelstradamus
Established Member

Carmax Pre Approval

   Hey all. I filled out an online credit app for Carmax yesterday for a new truck. A few minutes later, I received an email stating that I was pre approved for the truck. I didn't get a chance to talk to the salesperson today because of my work schedule. My question is: Are Carmax pre approvals legit? I've purchased and paid off 2 vehicles with them in the last 7 years. I've had a rough last couple of years, but I'm past that now. My EQ score is 608. Just wanted to make sure before I make the 50 mile drive there.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

Re: Carmax Pre Approval


@Joelstradamus wrote:

   Hey all. I filled out an online credit app for Carmax yesterday for a new truck. A few minutes later, I received an email stating that I was pre approved for the truck. I didn't get a chance to talk to the salesperson today because of my work schedule. My question is: Are Carmax pre approvals legit? I've purchased and paid off 2 vehicles with them in the last 7 years. I've had a rough last couple of years, but I'm past that now. My EQ score is 608. Just wanted to make sure before I make the 50 mile drive there.


It's probably 100% legit, but you need to be aware of the terms before you make that trip.  You don't want to get all the way down there just for them to say you were approved for 72 months at 13% interest rate.

Message 2 of 14
Joelstradamus
Established Member

Re: Carmax Pre Approval

Thanks for the advice. I got a 6% rate for 60 months. I'm still worried I'll get down there and it will blow up in my face. Just me worrying. 

Message 3 of 14
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

Re: Carmax Pre Approval


@Joelstradamus wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I got a 6% rate for 60 months. I'm still worried I'll get down there and it will blow up in my face. Just me worrying. 


Did they tell you how much you were approved for?  

Message 4 of 14
Joelstradamus
Established Member

Re: Carmax Pre Approval

They approved me for the truck I want at 8%. The finance company was off about the payoff on my current truck by $100, so Carmax told they would have to run the credit app again with the correct payoff. Now I'm nervouse that it won't go through.

Message 5 of 14
Morehouse3000
Frequent Contributor

Re: Carmax Pre Approval

They are 1000% legit!   I got financed for a car over the phone 1 month out Chpt13BK.   Interest rate was high as $%# but when you are out of BK not much you can do about it.   So I went in and got the car no issues.   Refinanced about 8 months later cut my payment in half along with single digit interest rate (was double digit with the bank I used with Carmax).     So they are solid


@Joelstradamus wrote:

   Hey all. I filled out an online credit app for Carmax yesterday for a new truck. A few minutes later, I received an email stating that I was pre approved for the truck. I didn't get a chance to talk to the salesperson today because of my work schedule. My question is: Are Carmax pre approvals legit? I've purchased and paid off 2 vehicles with them in the last 7 years. I've had a rough last couple of years, but I'm past that now. My EQ score is 608. Just wanted to make sure before I make the 50 mile drive there.


 

Message 6 of 14
Morehouse3000
Frequent Contributor

Re: Carmax Pre Approval

Oh and my credit score when it was pulled by the Carmax folks was low low 500's no joke.  Still APPROVED for financing!


@Joelstradamus wrote:

   Hey all. I filled out an online credit app for Carmax yesterday for a new truck. A few minutes later, I received an email stating that I was pre approved for the truck. I didn't get a chance to talk to the salesperson today because of my work schedule. My question is: Are Carmax pre approvals legit? I've purchased and paid off 2 vehicles with them in the last 7 years. I've had a rough last couple of years, but I'm past that now. My EQ score is 608. Just wanted to make sure before I make the 50 mile drive there.


 

Message 7 of 14
Morehouse3000
Frequent Contributor

Re: Carmax Pre Approval

Nahhhh you're good to go.   Go get the darn truck and post a pic of it on here so we can see how you riding!!!! Smiley Very HappySmiley HappySmiley Very Happy


@Joelstradamus wrote:

They approved me for the truck I want at 8%. The finance company was off about the payoff on my current truck by $100, so Carmax told they would have to run the credit app again with the correct payoff. Now I'm nervouse that it won't go through.


 

Message 8 of 14
daveg38
Established Contributor

Re: Carmax Pre Approval

@Morehouse3000, what kind of down payment did they expect with low-500 scores?

 

I'm about to try and grab a newer car from them.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Amex HH $1000 (AU), Mission Lane $750, Williams-Sonoma $500, Credit One $400, Express $250
Message 9 of 14
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Re: Carmax Pre Approval

 New car or new to you?

 

 I am aware CarMax in some locations do sell some new cars.

 

 Anyway, mid 500's is fine, I was approved by Westlake Finacial and you don't have to buy a car from CarMax either. Many new car franchise dealers use them, as well as many other lenders you don't have direct access to.

  

 Get pre-approval, Cap One can be used at most dealers, CarMax and Carvana. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.