Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carmax?

tag
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

Carmax?

I am wondering do Carmax have a program for people like with limited credit history. And are they a good place to shop?

Chase Slate Credit Card $1500 credit limit Best Buy Credit
Card $2000 credit limit Amazon Store Card $2100 credit limit .

My Fico scores: Experian 710, Equifax, 702, Transunion 716.
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Carmax?

I'm sure they could work with you, but other factors will matter including credit history, downpayment, amout borrowed, previous installment loans, income, etc...

If it's your first loan you might get a higher APR but you could hopefully refi to a better rate after a while.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aside from those "buy here, pay here" (and don't buy there) type car lots, if CarMax can't get you financed, no one can. They are a high-volume used car selling machine, and they work with numerous lenders. They will know how to get it done for you. The downside is, on an apples to apples basis, you'll pay a little more for a used car at CarMax than buying the same car elsewhere. And with your limited credit history and credit scores, you are going to pay higher then average interest. So you have to consider if you really need to go into debt to buy a car, or could get by waiting, saving, and paying cash for more basic transportation. Life's choices...

Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they will work with you.  Typically they are easier to work with than the dealers based on their "no negotiation" and "no hidden fees/agenda".  Your credit score will have an impact on your financing options with them.  Discuss your options with them, but also recommend looking into finance options with other institutions (banks, credit unions, etc.).  Good luck!

Message 4 of 46
A_Noob
Contributor

My dad got a car from carmax with not the greatest of credit history. I know they do work with people and they have a lot of lenders to choose from.

My Fico EQ: 749
My Fico TU: 754
My Fico EX: 753

Goal: 800
Message 5 of 46
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

My credit score is in the 600's but I need to save up for a downpayment. I need a truck for me to start a future part time carpentry business.

Chase Slate Credit Card $1500 credit limit Best Buy Credit
Card $2000 credit limit Amazon Store Card $2100 credit limit .

My Fico scores: Experian 710, Equifax, 702, Transunion 716.
Message 6 of 46
A_Noob
Contributor

I have just shy of a year of credit history FYI. A new-file is actually a pretty wonderful thing.

My Fico EQ: 749
My Fico TU: 754
My Fico EX: 753

Goal: 800
Message 7 of 46
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I happen to LOVE CARMAX... just bought my 3rd car from them couple weeks ago being a Prius.

The awsome thing about carmax and financing is the sales person does the application in front of you and hits submit and it's like watching a 60 second credit application come back but you NEVER get further processing required... they all come back decisioned in under 60 seconds usually... sometimes some of them get manually done at each bank and that can push you to like 5 minutes but as each one comes in they can show them to you approved or denied and terms approved so far... they send to like 6 (at least here in CA)

Carmax own dealer financing (they seem kind of rare to back a loan but when they do seem to be great terms

Wells

Santander

Exeter or something rather (worse than Santander)

Ally (they financed us)

Capital One

if you change the car you are looking to finance it pulls credit again (not a big deal if you are doing all within a couple weeks) but if you change down payment it doesn't.... we actually put in the request with no money down and got the terms and approvals and then tried it with money down to see if it would greatly effect the rate... it didn't so we put $0 down.

The other fab thing about Carmax is when the approval comes over they list any continginsees and that's it... they don't later come back for more info... I only saw 1 out of all our offers want income proof and that was on the exeter which is the worst financing anyway... the most others wanted was proof of bank if we put a deposit down and address (if they want address proof you go over to another program that will pull security questions from public record and if you answer those correct done!

I would not buy into the carmax extended warranty unless you are buying a brand that is known to have issues and I would suggest you don't since you can choose that now!!! they push it hard but you don't need it. just say no!

otherwise as far as paying more than at a dealership for same car.... that's a toss up... you don't have to haggle, you don't have the stress of trying to get a good deal, did you get a good deal, and the stress of financing and if they come back later asking for more info or something like that.... I really don't think I paid to much more if any more for our prius than at a local dealership and I bought it in under an hour and most of that was back end... financing offers came in 5 minutes, I clicked the one I wanted... then they had to get paperwork setup and took car for cleaning... signing takes about 20-30 and then you are off!! that is worth $500 in my book to not go to dealership and haggle.

Message 8 of 46
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Wow, Creditaddict, that was interesting. I have owned my car for the last 6 years, so it has been a good while since I financed a vehicle. I'm lucky in that my '06 Grand Vitara has less than 82,000 miles on it AND she is a trooper, so hopefully I will get another 6 years (minimum!) out of it. 

Back in the day when I was financing I vaguely recall going to a Carmax in the town I lived in, but at the time someone steered me away from it. IIRC they said that with Carmax you had to either pay weekly or biweekly, and that the interest was high. Have they changed that policy since then or am I thinking of another dealership??

Message 9 of 46
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I don't think carmax has ever been weekly bi weekly payments that I know of and the fact is I think you hear high interest rates coming out of carmax a lot because they are starting to be known for the quick and easy financing all the way down to terrible terrible credit so it washes out that they carry cars all the way up to Mercedes s550 for $80k and can get financing down in the 2% if you qualify!
Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.