cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract was changed after I signed/left the dealership.

tag
DR527
Regular Contributor

Contract was changed after I signed/left the dealership.

I got a new lease vehicle a few months ago. Last month I noticed something odd on my credit report. I had too many open accounts. My previous lease was still showing active on my reports. I contacted the bank and they said that they would update it. After a few weeks I get a notification that my account has all of these issues on it hurting my score. I reached out to the bank and after going over some of the details. I noticed the contract that the bank has for the lease. Has the wrong date on it. 

The bank told me that they couldn't have the wrong date because they get their paperwork directly from the dealership. I sent them a copy of the signed contract that I have. And the bank accuse me of having a fraudulent lease agreement! And threatened to take my(their) car. I reached out to the dealership today and spoke to the manager. He tried to tell me at first that I had the wrong day. That I was just confused on what day I actually came in. And when I told him I still had my original contract signed and date from that day. He began to tell me not to worry about it, that it didn't matter. After I pressed him on it. He told me that he wanted to make HIS NUMBERS look good for the following month. So he changed the dates on MY CONTRACT!!!! 

Im pissed and worried. The bank is talking about repoing my car over this. My credit has been impacted over this. Has anyone ever heard or dealt with anything like this. Can the bank really repo my car? Is the contract no longer valid? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Contract was changed after I signed/left the dealership.

Understanding that they dealership shouldn't have changed the date, how has this affected your credit?  You should have your old account paid off and your new account showing an inception date with your payment history.   Was the payoff on the old lease made LATE or was the payment on your new lease posted late?  What "credit issue" is happening to you?

The dealership cannot change your contract after you signed it without having you sign another.  If there is a change after the deal and the contract has been amended, they must have you sign the new agreement.  As most of these are done electronically, does this new contract with new date that bank has have your actual signature?  

If your payment is current....I don't see why the bank would look to repo the car.  

Message 2 of 4
DR527
Regular Contributor

No I never signed a new contract. I had no idea. The new payment was posted late. I had some family emergency. And push my payment back serval weeks. I made my payment what I thought was before the 30 day mark. But that was only according to my paperwork. Yes, the new contract has my signature. The manager, whited out or scanned or whatever the original contract. And just changed all of the dates on the pages. It's showing as a whole new sale on a new day. The bank was accusing me of having a bad lease. But after I showed them, they started talking about repo. My account is 100% current. The payment reported late due to Aug having 31 days I was told. I'm guess they're concerned with the two different dates. 

Message 3 of 4
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks for the additional details.  As the bank is in "control" of that late payment posting...not the dealer...you'll need to resolve that with them.  

Perhaps getting the dealer to provide you a copy of the contract they sent to the bank...giving you the proof of the 'alteration' will give you more leverage with the bank.  

Lastly, your recourse with the dealer would need to be addressed by the appropriate DMV for that state as you would be filing a complaint against their Dealer License, jeopardizing their ability to sell cars in the state.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.