cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Credit Cards, no problem. Getting an Auto Loan is being tough for me.

tag
Steveo777
Contributor

Getting Credit Cards, no problem. Getting an Auto Loan is being tough for me.

I'm struggling to find an auto loan. Cap One did not have a pre-approval for me and our credit unions, Golden 1 and Safe CU both turned me down flat.

There is no debt to income issue.

Income from employment is proveable at $95k per year.

Rent is only $900

My FICO Auto Scores are EQ 691/ TU 706/ Exp 672

Granted we are only going on mos post BK, but there ought to be something out there. I know where I can get 18% plus loans, but I have no desire to do so. I've had no trouble getting credit cards.

I have 3 previously paid off autos in my CRs still reporting, most recent is 2019 and all have perfect payment history.

Any ideas?

BK7 Discharged 08/2021 Household Income 95k
Scores: Fico9 Equifax 663 | TU 694 | Experian 628 Vantage 3.0 TU 737 | EQ 726
Cards:
Tri-CU $3k
Capital One Quicksilver One $3K
Mercury Master Card $3.3k
Upgrade Visa $10k
NFCU Visa Platinum $2000
Alphaeon Card $3600
Dell Preferred $4500
WM Mastercard $1000
Credit One AMEX $1000
Kohl's $800
Ollo Mastercard $2000
Target Red Card $1200
Cabela's Mastercard $3k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Hotcoals91
Regular Contributor

Re: Getting Credit Cards, no problem. Getting an Auto Loan is being tough for me.

My idea...think about whether you actually need an auto loan at this time

@Steveo777 wrote:

I'm struggling to find an auto loan. Cap One did not have a pre-approval for me and our credit unions, Golden 1 and Safe CU both turned me down flat.

Rent is only $900

Granted we are only going on mos post BK, but there ought to be something out there. I know where I can get 18% plus loans, but I have no desire to do so. I've had no trouble getting credit cards.

I have 3 previously paid off autos in my CRs still reporting, most recent is 2019 and all have perfect payment history.

Any ideas?

Message 2 of 9
Steveo777
Contributor

Re: Getting Credit Cards, no problem. Getting an Auto Loan is being tough for me.

@Hotcoals91 wrote:

My idea...think about whether you actually need an auto loan at this time

@Steveo777 wrote:

Rent is only $900

Any ideas?

Sounds like something my father would say. Smiley Happy

Actually, DW just started a job and there is no way we can make it work anymore with only one car. Her scores aren't as good as mine and I make most of the money.

BK7 Discharged 08/2021 Household Income 95k
Scores: Fico9 Equifax 663 | TU 694 | Experian 628 Vantage 3.0 TU 737 | EQ 726
Cards:
Tri-CU $3k
Capital One Quicksilver One $3K
Mercury Master Card $3.3k
Upgrade Visa $10k
NFCU Visa Platinum $2000
Alphaeon Card $3600
Dell Preferred $4500
WM Mastercard $1000
Credit One AMEX $1000
Kohl's $800
Ollo Mastercard $2000
Target Red Card $1200
Cabela's Mastercard $3k
Message 3 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

You should buy a certified pre-owned used car for like 10K-15K (think Honda, Toyota) and not a new car for 40K plus.   18% is actually not bad for a fresh BK.   Lots of folks get 24%.    Then pay down the used car at like $600/month using the savings from the bills you no longer have to pay that were discharged.   Then after one year post filing you can start checking with credit unions about getting a re-fi on the used car or possibly getting new car financing and use the used car as a trade-in.    Penfed would probably re-fi it to like 8% as long as you're not upside down.   So that's my two cents.

Message 4 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would find an actual car at a dealership that is modest, reliable, and has a warranty for at a good price.

Negotiate your price and then see what they can do for financing.

ONE HP. 

Kia, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota direct financing should be able to do something reasonable especially if you can put down 20% or so.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Steveo777 wrote:

Rent is only $900

Any ideas?

Also, did you try Carvana's pre-qual?   They will take BK's so long as they are discharged:

"Can I apply for Carvana financing? In order to apply for Carvana financing, you may not have any active bankruptcies. ... If your Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy shows as open (anything other than dismissed or discharged) on your credit report, we will be unable to provide financing through Carvana."

Message 6 of 9
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

You may have to do Carvana. It's a soft pull to see what you'd get. You could probably refinance out of it in a few months.

Message 7 of 9
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

How long has your BK been discharged? I know you're not happy with the possibility of an 18% interest rate...no one would.

But depending on how far away from discharge you are, you may need to adjust your expectations a bit. While 18% is crazy...0% may be just as far out of reach.

Try a CU like PenFed. They approved several auto loans for me with my BK13 on my report. My interest rates were between 4-5% but that was the cost I had to pay for my past mistakes. I'm thankful those days are behind me.

Best of luck to you. I hope you can find someone to approve you with a rate better than 18%.
Message 8 of 9
toi34
Established Contributor

Try another CU. With a BK discharge less than a year old you can get a certified car for 3.75% at a CU. OR, try Carvana, they have in-house financing too.

@Steveo777 wrote:

Rent is only $900

Any ideas?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.