cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good enough or wait?

tag
SATX

Good enough or wait?

Hi guys, newb here, please bare with me.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and purchase a vehicle, or wait till my score increases.

My TU score was:

690 = 12/29/2009

680 = 03/29/2010

695 = 06/01/2010

I'm thinking it dipped down due to my new home hitting my credit, and it went back up because I paid off some debt on two CC's I have.

Should I wait till I hit above 700 or go ahead and take the plunge? Of course I'm seeking the best rate possible. I currently have a auto loan with Cap 1, I had a cosigner, this was 3 years ago when my credit was worse and my rate is 10.5% on a $19,600 loan. I'm hoping to get a lone of at least $28K

Oh and my EQ Fico is 669 as of 06/01/2010.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 688
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Good enough or wait?

IMO, for the best rates, you will need a higher score than 700.  I say this based on my own recent auto buying research/experience.

Message 2 of 5
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

If you have positive paid auto history, your auto enhanced score may be higher than you regular fico score.  I got a car in Nov (I can't remember my score at the time? maybe 665 or 685 with TU Fico and I think the lender may have used the auto enhanced flavor  and I was eligible for the Tier 0 financing....that coupled with a decent down payment, little to no cc debt, and the amount I was looking to finance was appropriate for my salary (ie I didn't buy a 67K car on a 72K salary, but a car around 30K) .

Keep us posted SATX!

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Message 3 of 5
SATX

Thanks for the responses guys and girls.

I've noticed on the report that it says having too many accounts with open balances is bad.......even though they carry a small balance. I owe $400 on a jewelers card I'm going to pay off this month and see how that helps my score. I wanted a new/used car this month of June but I guess I can wait a little longer.

I know I don't have the best score for the best rate, but just trying to get something resasonable....my current loan is at 10.5.

Since I make 30K a year there's probably no chance I'll get a loan for 28K correct?

Is there any way for my wife to be cosign just for her income and not her credit? Her score is worse unfortunately.

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 688
Goal Score: 750

Message 4 of 5
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I dont think they will allow you to have a payment greater than 250 monthly with your income. Good rule of thumb is roughly 10% of your monthly income can go towards car payment.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.