Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Auto loan needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP! Auto loan needed

My husband and I were able (with low 500 scores) to get a 17% loan last January for a 1 year old Chev Malibu.  Unfortunately, in November, it was totalled.  We had been late on a couple of payments because he was out of work for 6 months, but had been catching up.  But now we have to replace this car!  What do we do?  Will anyone help us?  He is working again, and I have steady employment, but with high 400/low 500 scores, do we stand a chance?  We got financing for National Auto before.  I just refuse to pay 29% - the dealership quoted me that last year before we found Enterprise Car Purchases and they worked really hard to get us a rate down from the original 19% they quoted me.  I was very impressed with them, but the Finance Manager left, and when we spoke to them this time, they didn't even give us the time of day.  What do we do now?  We can put a small amount down, and we have our truck loan that we have had for 2.5 years and never been late on, but the CU that is at won't finance us again.  Any suggestions?  We are driving a borrowed truck, so we need to do something soon!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP! Auto loan needed

I was in a similar situation 3 years ago.  Had a fairly new car with reasonable monthly payments and poor credit and the car got totalled.  I was in NO position to have to finance a new car but had to.  My parents let me drive thier car for about 4 months, thankfully.  Anyway I had to bite the bullet and go with 20% financing from Americredit.  I would say at the time my scores were probably high 400s, low 500s as well.  Could you try them?  Best of luck!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! my heart goes out to you. It is so difficult to find financing now. Try cars. com or autotrader.com or even those magazines at the grocery to store. In there they always have dealerships that are willing to work with people with poor credit. I am in the market for a another car as well.  My score is 450.  Please let me know what you find out.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to have your dealership work with Regional Acceptance..I declared CH 7..and was unable to get a loan because my credit report was showing late payments..but I learned that after a CH 7.. the auto & mortgage companies are not permitted to post late payments on credit because they are part of the CH 7 bankruptcy, (even though I am keeping my house & car)...so I had to get a letter from Toyota stating they made an error and that I have a zero balance, and there were no late payments, (my son's car & he was paying late, messing up my credit even further)...but Regional Acceptance charges high interest as do many other "sub-prime" companies..hopefully in a year or so of on-time payments, I'll be able to re-finance.  Good Luck.

Message 4 of 5
203bravo
Established Contributor

Lisaalexis27 -

your post is a bit confusing.. Was the auto loans included in the BK or not (did you reaffirm them)?  If you kept the loan and payments were made late then yes, they will report the late payments.  If they were in the BK then that would have taken the car back as their collateral stake and the deficit amount would have been discharged in the BK.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.