Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda CR-V - Financing/Approval Odds

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honda CR-V - Financing/Approval Odds

I'm looking at either an EX-L or Touring Honda CR-V. I found a dealer willing to match the price any other dealer gives, so I'm anticipating paying about 29.5k at this point, not including taxes/fees. 

Honda currently has a 1.9-2.9% APR special going. With a credit score of about 720, is being approved for that rate even realistic? If not, I am considering going and opening up an account at a credit union to see what kind of a rate they can give me, and then taking that to Honda to see if they'll beat it. 

If it makes a difference, I'm prepared to put down about 10k, plus have a 2009 CR-V to trade in (guessing about $4k). I will also qualify for the $500 rebate for upcoming/recent college graduates. So I'm looking at maybe $18k for the loan. 

7 REPLIES 7
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Honda CR-V - Financing/Approval Odds

I kind of doubt you’ll get the promotional rate, but you should be able to get a very good rate considering your huge down payment/trade situation. It will depend on more than just your score. Your credit history length will factor in considerably. DTI will also play in. 

Like I said, you’ll have no problem getting a good loan, but it may not be at THAT good of a rate. Those rates tend to be reserved for people with looooong, clean, and thick credit files. 

Good luck and enjoy the car!! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 8
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I disagree on the rate.  720 should get you the promo rate.  

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sccredit wrote:

^ I agree

Message 4 of 8
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

^ I agree

Anything is possible, I suppose. I speak only from personal experience. When I bought my last car, the dealer was offering a promo like this. I had a higher score than that and a VERY low DTI and I didn’t get the promo rate. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

^ I agree

My Fico score was 693 when I was approved for honda's promo rate of 2.9 for 60 months.  If you have prior auto loan paid off/on time,  that would help you to get approved for better rate.

Message 6 of 8
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

^ I agree

My Fico score was 693 when I was approved for honda's promo rate of 2.9 for 60 months.  If you have prior auto loan paid off/on time,  that would help you to get approved for better rate.

It all depends what's in the credit report, not simply the score. In the auto industry, there is such thing as a 'bad' 720 - could be someone who has two credit cards 6 months old with a combined credit limit of $1,000 - unless they have other compensating factors they might not get approved.

But - the kind of money down OP is talking about plus a trade, I'd be surprised if OP didn't get the promo rate.

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 7 of 8
IPIF
New Contributor

I recommend getting an auto loan at a credit union.

Honda Financial will probably get you the CFA penalty.

2.9% for 60 months is an OK rate. But my CU is offering 2.99% for 60 months, so why take CFA?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.