Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much loyalty to a salesperson?

tag
sekada
Regular Contributor

How much loyalty to a salesperson?

I've had a few casual conversations at the dealershipp where I hope to buy my next car, and I also did an online search for the best price on the car I want.  If somebody makes me an offer (like if I actually engage an online salesperson beyond the initial spam-response to my online inquiry) do I have any obligation to work with that particular person?  Also, if I wind up talking to a live salesperson at the dealership, and they offer me a price that's higher than the online offer, is it ok to say "well the dealership offered me xxx" online?  I don't want to make people mad, but my gut instinct is to play the field until I get the best possible price. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: How much loyalty to a salesperson?

You're buying a car, no such thing as loyalty. Play the field.

The only things I have as far as loyalty are these:

1) If I negotiate a deal with a salesman online/over the phone/in person at a dealership and decide to buy at THAT dealership, I make sure to work with the guy I negotiated with.

2) I try to email people that I have a lower offer and ask if they can beat it. But no major biggie if you don't do this one esp. if you find a great deal and have to close ASAP.

Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Remember0 wrote:

You're buying a car, no such thing as loyalty. Play the field.

+1

Message 3 of 5
f1ared
Established Member

Don't ever trust a salesman or a dealership. There's no such thing as loyalty; even if you think you're getting a great deal believe me they're still making thousands off of you. I'm currently shopping around for the best price; and I'm playing all of the dealerships against each other to see who will come back with the lowest price.

They may act friendly, but they are NOT your friend. If you do end up buying, make sure to go over the paperwork with a magnifying glass to make sure all the numbers are right and you're not being scammed...I've learned my lesson with this after being scammed on my last car.

Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

just because they are online doesn't mean they are not at the dealership.

not saying you couldn't try to work with someone else too but usually if I go to that dealership i try to work with the person I have been already.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.