cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to best transfer auto loan from father to son?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to best transfer auto loan from father to son?

I'm going to be helping my dad refinance his mortgage. Before doing so, I need to lower his debt:income ratio by putting my brother's car and auto loan - which are now in my dad's name - into my brother's name. I've always paid cash for cars so I'm pretty ignorant of the loan process.

My brother has tried to get a loan with the same credit union that has the loan for my dad, but was unsuccessful; they use Equifax, which is reporting a much lower score for my brother than Transunion.

Can I simply call various banks and ask if they use Transunion? I'm considering call Capital One, Chase, BB&T, Innovative Funding Services, Lightstream, and some local Charlotte/NC credit unions. How would the process work from there?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: How to best transfer auto loan from father to son?

Your brother has to "purchase" the car from your dad. Essentially, lenders will look at this as a private sale from John to Bob. The fact that they are related does not matter. Your brother will have to qualify for the loan based on his own creditworthiness. 

How will you be helping your dad refinance the mortgage? Do you know what date the mortgage was originated?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I figured that would be the case. Is my plan workable? My plan is to call various banks and credit unions offering private party auto loans and ask if they use the applicant's Transunion score.

As for the mortgage refi, I only mentioned it as backstory for why I'm helping with the auto loan. But to answer your question, my parents took out the original mortgage in 2000. They did however refinance ~2006, and the loan has passed to a couple different banks since that time, so I"m not sure if any of this impacts on the origination date. Why do you ask?

Message 3 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

capital one pulls all 3

BBT pulls EQ

Chase usually pulls EX

I would start at your local credit union you mention but high chance they pull EQ.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.