cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to buy a car (for the first time buyer).

tag
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to buy a car (for the first time buyer).

Ty very much for creating this thread.  You have posted tons of great information here that any potential car buyer should read.

Please Mods sticky this thread.

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 11 of 32
supersam101
Contributor

You guys need to check out this website. www.truecar.com/
My aunt used it before and the dealer beat the websites price.
Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 12 of 32
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@supersam101 wrote:

Well once the dealer beats the website price, always have another dealer beat the first dealer. And then you have them beating themselves until one drops out.

Message 13 of 32
Volpes
Regular Contributor

<snip>

nice thread though

Message 14 of 32
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@SamsungHDTV wrote:

@supersam101 wrote:

Well once the dealer beats the website price, always have another dealer beat the first dealer. And then you have them beating themselves until one drops out.

Haha, that is what I did with like 10 dealers. Ended up with the dealer nearest my house being able to offer the best deal. Likely because they think I will go to them for service.

Negotiating the trade online can be difficult. A salesperson will tell you anything to get you in, but they are generally not the one who values the trade.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 15 of 32
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

Great post, bookmarked!

This will come in handy early next year.

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 16 of 32
m3rge
Regular Contributor

SamsungHDTV, excellent post! I'm starting to plan my first purchase of a car and this post helps alot for first time buyers!
Message 17 of 32
Siopao
Regular Contributor

Thanks SamsunHDTV!

Very informative post.  I'm actually shopping for a car.  I already emailed about 5 dealerships.  I've only been in contact with 2 out of those 5.  It seems the other 2 had some auto response email basically telling me to call.  I tried to reply to those, but no go.  The 5th just called.

The car I was looking at is the Kia Optima SXL which MSRP's for about 35k.  I got one dealership down to $29,305 + TTL.  But that also included some incentives ($1500 competivie car and $500 Kia financing).  I searched around and found that this is pretty close to the lowest I've found others buying this particular trim.  

My question is, how do I get the dealer to give me this quote in an email so I don't get shafted when I get there?  

Message 18 of 32
Dustink
Valued Contributor

That looks like a good quote.

Tell the dealer you are comparing quotes and you want a break down of it in an email.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 19 of 32
Siopao
Regular Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

That looks like a good quote.

Tell the dealer you are comparing quotes and you want a break down of it in an email.

Thanks Dustink!

I will give it a shot.  It seems like the two others that have responded to me won't even get near that price.  So either something fishy is going on with that dealer, or it's just a smokin' deal.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.