Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start negotiations....

tag
Redissochi
New Contributor

How to start negotiations....

First off, I want to thank SamsungHDTV for his post for first time car buyers. It was very informative for me, a first time car buyer, who has been totally lost and nerve wrecked through this whole process. I have gotten the most difficult part out of the way: I have financing. I was approved through roadloans at 6.42 72 months up tp $28000. I plan on using this as leverage for a better rate at the dealer. I am still waiting on Penfed, 3 days later... Smiley MadSmiley Mad 

Anywho, since I have at least 1 approval I am ready to start negotiations with dealers for my car. I orginally had an excellent deal lined up but because I refused to go to the dealer ship without financing the car was sold and the dealer is not really being helpful anymore. I know how much I want to pay for the car I want, including tax title and license and plan on paying that out of pocket. But I am absolutley clueless as how I should start negotiations. I have access to a GM family discount and plan to use that as I am shopping for a 2013 Camero. I know what I want included in the vehicle as well. Do I give the dealership the price and see if they can meet me half way? What do I ask? I dont want to come across as a newbie to them and be taken advantage of. I also was wondering is there any websites that show what people paid for the car I am looking for? Any advice would be awesome. 

Starting Score: 624
Current Score: 710(MYFICO 06/10/2013) Experian: 705 (Pulled from Bank of America while applying for an auto loan 5/2013)Goal Score: 800 Club

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: How to start negotiations....

@Redissochi wrote:

First off, I want to thank SamsungHDTV for his post for first time car buyers. It was very informative for me, a first time car buyer, who has been totally lost and nerve wrecked through this whole process. I have gotten the most difficult part out of the way: I have financing. I was approved through roadloans at 6.42 72 months up tp $28000. I plan on using this as leverage for a better rate at the dealer. I am still waiting on Penfed, 3 days later... Smiley MadSmiley Mad 

Anywho, since I have at least 1 approval I am ready to start negotiations with dealers for my car. I orginally had an excellent deal lined up but because I refused to go to the dealer ship without financing the car was sold and the dealer is not really being helpful anymore. I know how much I want to pay for the car I want, including tax title and license and plan on paying that out of pocket. But I am absolutley clueless as how I should start negotiations. I have access to a GM family discount and plan to use that as I am shopping for a 2013 Camero. I know what I want included in the vehicle as well. Do I give the dealership the price and see if they can meet me half way? What do I ask? I dont want to come across as a newbie to them and be taken advantage of. I also was wondering is there any websites that show what people paid for the car I am looking for? Any advice would be awesome. 

Glad you found my sticky thread helpful. Ask them to email you quotes based on your discount. Ask other dealerships for quotes on same vehicle. Have them bid against each other until they drop off to one. But its important to get multiple quotes from different dealers. Don't tell them what you're wanting to pay, because then they know what they can get you to pay. You're always wanting to pay "as low as possible".

Message 2 of 4
Redissochi
New Contributor

Gotcha! About to shoot off some emails. Just got an assume loan approval from BOA for a first time buyer so I know what amount I am working with. This whole process was kind of rough when I was getting denied but now that I have a great financing offer its starting to get fun. I can almost feel myself inside that 2013 Camero. LOL

Starting Score: 624
Current Score: 710(MYFICO 06/10/2013) Experian: 705 (Pulled from Bank of America while applying for an auto loan 5/2013)Goal Score: 800 Club

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Dustink
Valued Contributor

You should be able to get around $4,000 off MSRP.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.