Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to switch from a finance to a lease, what are the pros and cons

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to switch from a finance to a lease, what are the pros and cons

I currently have a 2014 Hyundai sonata which is financed and i want to trade my car in for a lease.

what should i be aware of if i choose to make this decision?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: I want to switch from a finance to a lease, what are the pros and cons

The most important starting point is how much you financed vs. the actual value of the car currently. Financed vehicles are almost always upside-down for the first 12-18 months and then usually find a break-even point (depending on the interest rate and term).

Once we have this information, we can help you a little more. That being said, a lease is only a good idea for a select group of people: low mileage, low wear and tear, and high credit individuals. Even then, I only recommend leases for people (like myself) that like switching cars every few years. 

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 13
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Pros of finance: You own the car after you're done with the payments. Its cheaper if you are in the drive my car until the wheels fall off club.

Cons of finance: You're "stuck" with this car for 10+ years or however long your vehicle lasts. This can also be a pro (if your car is lasting a long time its saving you money), unless repairs are costly.

Pros of lease: You can get a new car every 2-3 years. Not worry about expensive maintenance.

Cons of lease: Its essentially a less expensive long term car rental with mile restrictions. More expensive than finance unless you really plan on not keeping your car for a long time.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have a 2014 Hyundai sonata which is financed and i want to trade my car in for a lease.

what should i be aware of if i choose to make this decision?

First, see how much you can get for your car incase you still owe a lot.  I'd get quotes from CARMAX and other places to see how much you can get.  Also, educate yourself properly before leasing.

Your first step if you haven't done so is go to www.leaseguide.com.   A wealth of info. there to get you started to see if that option is best for you.  Leasing works well for some people and it doesn't for others.

Welcome to MYFICO-

Message 4 of 13
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Sorry OP, don't mean to jack your thread but had a question relating to this. Say I want to trade in my car every ~5 years or so, would financing still be the better option? 2-3 years seems a little soon and I don't like the miles limitations.

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

Sorry OP, don't mean to jack your thread but had a question relating to this. Say I want to trade in my car every ~5 years or so, would financing still be the better option? 2-3 years seems a little soon and I don't like the miles limitations.

To answer your question, YES- financing will be better for your situation based on what you posted.

Message 6 of 13
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

To answer your question, YES- financing will be better for your situation based on what you posted.

Okay, that's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure. Thank you Smiley Happy

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

Okay, that's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure. Thank you Smiley Happy

You may want to look into balloon-financing since the payments are comparable to lease payments, but without the mileage limitations.  Obviously, you have a BIG payment at the end should you not sell/trade the vehicle before the final due-note.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

You are welcome!!

Message 9 of 13
6speed8
Regular Contributor

I was a service guy, not in the financial end so those who are more in the know please correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the impression that other lenders, say a mortgage lender, look at a leased car as more of a liability than a financed car. I was told that it's a negative asset where a financed car, depending on amount owed of course, is a positive asset in a sense, if you have equity in it.

From a service perspective, I leased once and will never do it again. I tend to keep my cars forever lol. And having been a service advisor for VW,Audi,Land Rover and Benz, I wouldn't want to own one once the warranty is up, short of an 82-85 Mercedes diesel (owned two 1983's and would buy another right now in a heartbeat). Nor would I ever purchase an "off lease" one as they most likely weren't maintained worth a damn.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.