cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined DCU, auto loan declined. Capital One shows approved. Should I try another CU for a lower APR?

tag
JustBeachy

Joined DCU, auto loan declined. Capital One shows approved. Should I try another CU for a lower APR?

I’m concerned that even though Capital One Auto Navigator shows pre-approved, there will be some hiccup at the dealership and/or an even higher interest rate.  

DCU was declined for charged off credit card account, which I knew about. I also have past delinquencies. This happened almost 2 years ago. FICO 8 is now showing between 635 and 650 depending in which credit bureau is reporting the free score.

2 REPLIES 2
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Joined DCU, auto loan declined. Capital One shows approved. Should I try another CU for a lower

It is always a little nerve racking to go in with only the pre-approval and hope everything goes smoothly. it is also understandable given DCU declining your application.

It seems most people that have a pre-approval are good to go at the dealer. The dealer will have to do a final hard pull (you initially received a SP) to give you final approval. I am sure on occasion a deal does fall through but it seems many have no issues. The one thing I have read is that a few dealerships have tried to run the deal through other lenders saying they can get you a better deal. This seemed to be met with varying results but the rate should be what Cap1 advertised as well as the term and down payment if required.

You may also want to check out Carvana and see what you might qualify using their Soft Pull pre qualify (it would be a hard pull if you follow through).  I would honestly stick to Cap1 as I like to see and test drive a car before it shows up!

Good luck and let the community know if you have other questions, lots of great people here to help!

Message 2 of 3
Harmony12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Joined DCU, auto loan declined. Capital One shows approved. Should I try another CU for a lower

OP, how did your auto loan go?
Starting CK FAKOS 6/28/2018
TU 503
EQ 498
Discover EX 537

FICO 8
7/7/18 05/24/21
EQ 557 701
TU 566 715
EX 514 711

Mortgage Scores FICO 5,4,2
7/7/18 05/24/21
EQ 494 685
TU 480 703
EX 479 693

Goal Score 720
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.