Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lease End - What To Do?

tag
felyasocal
New Contributor

Lease End - What To Do?

I have a 2013 Acura TL Tech. Lease is ending in about 6 months. I am going to be between between 5K and 10K miiles over. So between $1000 and $2000. Plus, I will have to spend between $1000-1400 to get the car ready for lease return (a few dings here and there, but all require actual work). I want to buy a new car that's going to be a lot more fun than this Acura. It's really nice and luxurious, but it's the most boring car I've ever driven. 

I have two options. At least two that I can think off. 

1. Fix the car + Pay the miles = $2000-$3400

2. Fix the car + Buy it out + Try to sell it = $1000-$1400 (The problem here is that it looks like the residual will be higher than what the car is going to be worth at that time. So if I'll owe around $22000 if I buy it out, I might not be able to sell it for more than $20000-21000 = So this way I'll spend $1000-$1400 to fix it and will be $1000-$2000 short on paying off the loan. Essentially the same thing. 

Does either option sound better than the other? Should I wait and see that may be the residual will be closer to the actual value of the car at that time? Or just cough up the money and return it to Acura?

I am getting a Golf R. Perhaps I should try to get the dealer to buy it from me? Trade it in and be upside down a bit and have them roll the payments in to the new car?

Any other suggestions or possible scnearios? I am seriously trying to avoid paying $3500 (plus disposition) to get rid of that car. (And please, no lectures on leases being bad. I've always leased and never been over miles or had this type of damage). 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.