Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with my current auto loan ,

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with my current auto loan ,

So , it's about to be 2 years now , I took out a truck for my dad under my name my credit , he makes the payments though of course , but now I'm going to apply for a house within a year or 2 , if I transfer the loan to him , would it hurt my credit since the financing is not done ? 

4 REPLIES 4
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Re: Need help with my current auto loan ,

All depends on what the rest of your file looks like. Do you have any other open installment loans? 

Message 2 of 5
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

You score may go down because you don't have an installment loan...

BUT

You will also have a better income to debt ratio and less debt overall...

SO 

It is probably better overall for you to qualify for a mortgage.

NOW

He will have to qualify for a new loan on his own; you can't just transfer the responsibility.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes , I have 2 more others well one now , I paid off one auto loan this month , and I owe 10k on another , which I'll b paying off this year , that leaves me with only one auto loan , which is not my car just under my name . Reason is , I want to apply for a home so I need my DTI ratio to be as low as possible , I'm credit card debt free as well . 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

You score may go down because you don't have an installment loan...

BUT

You will also have a better income to debt ratio and less debt overall...

SO 

It is probably better overall for you to qualify for a mortgage.

NOW

He will have to qualify for a new loan on his own; you can't just transfer the responsibility.

GL!

His credit score is actually much better than mine lol , but he had me apply for his truck back in 2018 because he took out a home so helped his DTI ratio I guess , but now I want a better DTI so I want to let go of the loan and give it to him so he can finance, just scared my scores will take a dip .

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.