Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance without POI?

tag
hellohum
Valued Member

Refinance without POI?

I bought my first car in December 2021, I'm 33 so am not new to credit, just hadn't bought a car before and didn't know what I was really doing. Anyway, afterward I realized (like an idiot) there was a collection account on experian so I got a high interest rate. I had never heard of it, disputed it so now it's gone and my score has boosted from 660ish to 705ish (only using free trackers atm which is why I say ish). 

Anyway, I want to refinance for a lower interest rate but am self-employed and want to refinance somewhere where I won't need to provide income simply because it's an absolute pain. 

Any experiences or recommendations?

TU: 702 EQ: 698 EX: 678
Apple $3000 / Citi Doublecash $3000 / Capital One QuicksilverOne $2350 / Nordstrom Visa $2200 / Discover It $2000 / Amazon Prime Visa $1500 // Macy’s $5300 / Saks $2500 / Target $1500 / Ulta $1500 / Kohls $1500 / Victoria’s Secret $1500 / Sephora $1000 / Meijer $900 / Walmart $600 / TJX $200
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Refinance without POI?

I am not sure. I am sure others would chime in and give you suggestions. From my experience most credit unions might ask for POI or paychecks. Did you try asking your current lender and see if they would reduce the interest rates?

Message 2 of 9
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

@hellohum wrote:

I bought my first car in December 2021, I'm 33 so am not new to credit, just hadn't bought a car before and didn't know what I was really doing. Anyway, afterward I realized (like an idiot) there was a collection account on experian so I got a high interest rate. I had never heard of it, disputed it so now it's gone and my score has boosted from 660ish to 705ish (only using free trackers atm which is why I say ish). 

Anyway, I want to refinance for a lower interest rate but am self-employed and want to refinance somewhere where I won't need to provide income simply because it's an absolute pain. 

Any experiences or recommendations?

With your scores I would think you'd be fine. Cap1 has a prequal on their website. So you can see rate and necessary docs upfront. I don't see a credit union asking you for poi. Is the free score a Fico or vantage? Also do you know for all three bureaus or just one?

Message 3 of 9
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

First, get your auto scores from MyFico. Then shop around the auto preapprovals and see what you have access to. Some will give you terms with only a soft pull. 

Message 4 of 9
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

I refinanced my auto with Alliant and it was a super easy process - they never asked for POI or any docs from me. Anyone can join Alliant CU so that might be worth looking into.

Bank of America - I've worked with them in the past as well but I don't find their rates to be super competitive

Chase- same thing

Capital One - they offer pretty competitive rates in my opinion

Message 5 of 9
dunn2500
Established Contributor

had 5 auto loans with credit unions in last 3 years and scores starting at 660 all way to 780 recently and was never asked for POI.....also am self employed......FWIW

my credit is clean though

Message 6 of 9
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

@mgs2010 wrote:

I refinanced my auto with Alliant and it was a super easy process - they never asked for POI or any docs from me. Anyone can join Alliant CU so that might be worth looking into.

Bank of America - I've worked with them in the past as well but I don't find their rates to be super competitive

Chase- same thing

Capital One - they offer pretty competitive rates in my opinion

I just refied my car with BoA not that long ago, and they beat CapOne by over a point, Chase by half a point. I do bank with them, and scores below are basically what they were when I refied. 

Message 7 of 9
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

Navy didn't ask for POI on my Truck refi.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 8 of 9
moto4man
Regular Contributor

NFCU didn't ask for POI when I app'd for a refi.  However, the rate they offered was a joke!  It was higher then the 18k SC card they approved me for.

Starting Score: 547EX
Current Score: 694EX 689EQ 696TU
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.