Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise from PenFed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprise from PenFed

I hadn't really finished reading through all the forums to know that PenFed was notoriously conservative with its lending. I applied for membership with $5 and in one  fell swoop went right on to apply for an auto loan.  Instant rejection for balances too high and recent derogatory. Both true.  On a lark and filled with extreme optimism, I sent in an email asking for a recon. I outlined clearly that I while the balance to limit was high when the report was pulled, it was no longer that way now (in fact all cards had a zero balance) and I had never defaulted on any auto loan in the past (my current one is in excellent shape with another CU). On top of that I hadn't missed any payments for over 5 years.

Got an email back asking to send in POI. I am a contractor so I asked if W2s would be ok and they were. Then I read the forums and thought they were playing a cruel joke or something and I would never get approved.  I went to the dealership and ended up with a not-bad GM Financial loan that I could have lived with just fine.

Came home to an email saying that I had been approved and I could have the funds overnighted if I wanted. 

Definitely a rocky road paved with blissful ignorance, but through sheer dumb luck managed to get a PenFed auto loan for $30k at 3%. All this after the CU I have been faithfully building a relationship with for the past three years would only give me $15k at 10%.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Surprise from PenFed

Awesome story! Congrats on the PenFed approval.

Message 2 of 5
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Nicely done!  Congrats!

Message 3 of 5
pgk500

Hi,

Congrats on your approval. Could you share your credit profile when you applied based on following points if you dont mind, appreciet it.

Type of derogatories and age

Utilization

Inquiries in last 6-12 months

New accounts in last 6-12 months

AAOA.

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.