cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanna ask a car salesman anything.........

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanna ask a car salesman anything.........

I have been in the business for 12 years now after I go tout of the US Marine Corps, so this is a no BS answer and question section. Any way I can be of service, please feel free to reach out about ANYTHING. This is not for any gain for me, but for y'all who have helped me rebuild my credit life. 

43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wanna ask a car salesman anything.........

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions and thank you for serving our country. With that being said, what tips would you have for a potential car buyer to negotiate the best price and avoid all of the nonsense and run around and worthless fees associated with buying a vehicle?

Message 2 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions and thank you for serving our country. With that being said, what tips would you have for a potential car buyer to negotiate the best price and avoid all of the nonsense and run around and worthless fees associated with buying a vehicle?

My pleasure and thank you for the opportunity to serve the forum. What brand, model vehicle are you looking for? That way I can do some homework and get you the best possible pricing. Also what is your zip code, incentives are different per region. Semper Fi

Message 3 of 44
egypt04
New Contributor

Ooooh, pick me, pick me! Smiley Very Happy

I am looking to get a used certified elantra gt from a dealership my dad just bought his veloster from. They have a car there I love, but it is more than I would like to pay.

How do I know the best price to counter with?

It is a 2014 certified gt with 17k miles listed currently for $14,995. Only been listed for about a week thus far.

Also, how much can you haggle with a trade-in and getting them to lower the APR, if your credit is not spotless?

I would like to counter with purchase price of 14k, with my trade-in being at least $700 hopefully. One place only quoted my car at $300 which I found insulting. Same place that offered me 14% santander which I declined.

One site said market value is $14.4 (i see cars appt) but another site said $18k with the loaded features that come with it, so I'm not sure how to find a middle ground price.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

How do I know that i'm not getting played but still being fair?

Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@egypt04 wrote:

Ooooh, pick me, pick me! Smiley Very Happy

I am looking to get a used certified elantra gt from a dealership my dad just bought his veloster from. They have a car there I love, but it is more than I would like to pay.

How do I know the best price to counter with?

It is a 2014 certified gt with 17k miles listed currently for $14,995. Only been listed for about a week thus far.

Also, how much can you haggle with a trade-in and getting them to lower the APR, if your credit is not spotless?

I would like to counter with purchase price of 14k, with my trade-in being at least $700 hopefully. One place only quoted my car at $300 which I found insulting. Same place that offered me 14% santander which I declined.

One site said market value is $14.4 (i see cars appt) but another site said $18k with the loaded features that come with it, so I'm not sure how to find a middle ground price.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

How do I know that i'm not getting played but still being fair?

What all features does the GT have, as far as rate goes, go to your local CU, get their best rate and take that rate to them. Tell them AFTER you have your best price, then see if they can beat the rate. If not tell them that you will go through the CU. Make sure they dont "shotgun" your credit to tons of banks. Tell them to send it to no more than 3 banks and have them show you the "buy rate" when done and what banks they sent it to. Hope that helps.

Message 5 of 44
egypt04
New Contributor

My local CU wouldn't approve me Smiley Sad due to the negative marks caused by student loans at the moment. They said possibly they'd help me refinance in 6 months time if I got approved and showed good payment history.

It has the style package or whatever the upgraded package is for a gt. They're all listed base as far as trim levels but some have the added nagivation/touch screen and sunroof. Plus I know a CPO vehicle has an added value they advertise of around $2000, but don't they pay something like $895 to make it certified? Pretty sure I got that info off edmunds or something.

Their listed price might be quite fair....not sure.

Also, these vehicles are not easy to come by (even nationwide) so they might not budge on price.

Zip code region would be the Minneapolis, MN area. 55401.

Message 6 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@egypt04 wrote:

My local CU wouldn't approve me Smiley Sad due to the negative marks caused by student loans at the moment. They said possibly they'd help me refinance in 6 months time if I got approved and showed good payment history.

It has the style package or whatever the upgraded package is for a gt. They're all listed base as far as trim levels but some have the added nagivation/touch screen and sunroof. Plus I know a CPO vehicle has an added value they advertise of around $2000, but don't they pay something like $895 to make it certified? Pretty sure I got that info off edmunds or something.

Their listed price might be quite fair....not sure.

Also, these vehicles are not easy to come by (even nationwide) so they might not budge on price.

Zip code region would be the Minneapolis, MN area. 55401.

Does yours have the style package with roof and nav? How many miles are on it? Reason why they are hard to come by is they didnt sell a TON of them, they were kind of the hidden gem. I worked for Hyundai for almost 7 years and I averaged 25-30 cars a month. Plus when they did sell they have a lot of rebates when they were new. Hard to come by or not, one in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Message 7 of 44
egypt04
New Contributor

Well that makes a ton of sense! Why not make many of them I wonder? Yeh people seem to really like their gt's. I would settle for the first year 2013 that still had the 5 year/60k warranty BUT 2 mechanic friends of mine advised against going with the first year of a new make/model - is that sound advice still in this day and age??

Haven't seen many 2013 gt's that are certified otherwise that would be my first choice, to save a little money. There was one 2013 i found but they wouldn't budge on price of $13.8k and then it got sold after about a month or so on the market.

Yes, it has the nav and sunroof which is the reason I REALLY want it. I plan on keeping it for 10+ years if all goes well. 

Only 17,000 miles as well.

Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@egypt04 wrote:

Well that makes a ton of sense! Why not make many of them I wonder? Yeh people seem to really like their gt's. I would settle for the first year 2013 that still had the 5 year/60k warranty BUT 2 mechanic friends of mine advised against going with the first year of a new make/model - is that sound advice still in this day and age??

Haven't seen many 2013 gt's that are certified otherwise that would be my first choice, to save a little money. There was one 2013 i found but they wouldn't budge on price of $13.8k and then it got sold after about a month or so on the market.

Yes, it has the nav and sunroof which is the reason I REALLY want it. I plan on keeping it for 10+ years if all goes well. 

Trade in is 11,237, CPO adds 1000. Their cost is 495-595 to certify. I would offer 12,500 and no more than 13,100. That way when you leave the lot, you have as little of negative equity as possible, and dont pay any more than 200 for GAP insurance. I can even call the dealer and work the best price for you if you like!!!!!!!!!

Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@egypt04 wrote:

Is it blue and in CT?

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.