cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird hard inquiry activity at the dealership?

tag
Lugatti

Weird hard inquiry activity at the dealership?

Hey all - first time poster, long time lurker. I'll try to make this as clear as possible but I apologize in advance if it comes off as confusing.

I went into my local Ford dealership yesterday with the hopes of leasing a 2024 Bronco Sport, double spoiler alert here - I've had credit trouble in the past and am now rebuilding and I was approved! 

Anyways, so I was in the dealership and going through the process. I recieved two alerts while going through the process from the Experian app, one was for a hardpull by Ford Motor Credit for Experian and the other was a hardpull by the dealership also for Experian.

When I went into the finance office, they showed me my Transunion score. No alerts regarding Transunion, this was my lowest of the three bureaus per the Experian app (apologies for not using myFICO, additonally would love feedback if that IS the source I should be using). 

All-in-all, no real issues at this point - I was approved for the car I wanted, a way lower payment than I thought I was going to get, and no money down. I'm happy. 

Flash forward to today, I get an alert from the Experian app of a hardpull for Equifax for a different car dealership. What makes it weird is the name of the hardpuller is the name of a Chevrolet dealership that used to be in another building down the road from the Ford dealership. The current occupier of the building is a Hyundai dealership that is in the same auto group/company as the Ford dealership. The Chevy dealership used to be in that building, but moved to another town years ago, and the Hyundai dealership moved in. The Experian app names the hardpuller as the Chevy dealership but provides the street address of what is currently the Hyundai dealership (formly the Chevy dealership). I hope that makes sense to read because it was confusing to write!

Is this weird? Should I dispute this third Equifax hard pull? Should I lock my credit file (via Experian app)? Why did the Ford dealership show Transunion when they were supposedly pulling Experian?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but it was a bit jarring to look over these inquiries today.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Weird hard inquiry activity at the dealership?

@Lugatti, it is completely normal for both a dealership and the finance company to generate Hard Pulls.  That said, for scoring purposes, they only count as one. 

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 2 of 4
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Is your financing set, or do you think they may try to shop you around? I wouldn't be too concerned if it's the same auto group. Listing the name of a Chevy dealer that's not part of the group is weird, but may be a simple error. I've been confused with my father before because we had the same middle and last name, address, and employer. Citi even denied my app long ago for my father's BK. There's a possibility that the wrong dealer name was attached because of the address, but if you want to be sure, you can call the dealer. It will be quicker than calling Experian. Plus, if it's not a delayed HP, you need to find out why they're shopping you around. 

Message 3 of 4
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Is your financing set, or do you think they may try to shop you around? I wouldn't be too concerned if it's the same auto group. Listing the name of a Chevy dealer that's not part of the group is weird, but may be a simple error. I've been confused with my father before because we had the same middle and last name, address, and employer. Citi even denied my app long ago for my father's BK. There's a possibility that the wrong dealer name was attached because of the address, but if you want to be sure, you can call the dealer. It will be quicker than calling Experian. Plus, if it's not a delayed HP, you need to find out why they're shopping you around. 

It's all about the dealer group!  If all those dealerships under the same Corp Owner operate, the dealerships DMS system controls the CB pulls and whatever is the primary name on that account...whether it's current, changed, updated or moved...will be what the DMS (Dealership Management System) sends to the bureau and will reflect that name on your personal CB.  It is advisable that once you've received word that the BANK has approved your loan as the dealer does a review then the bank does their own...then...you should go back to locking things down if you choose

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.