Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do you not get ripped on a lease?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how do you not get ripped on a lease?

I've seen where people got decent leases but every dealer I've dealt with said lease terms aren't negotiable and what they advertise is all they have.

Seems like the best leases are on cars that depreciate less during the term since you are paying depreciation.

Are leases recommended when planning to keep car or just when turning in for sure?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: how do you not get ripped on a lease?

If you plan on keeping it there is no point to leasing.  Leasing works if you plan on handing it back at the end of the lease term.  

Message 2 of 3
coterotie
Established Contributor

Re: how do you not get ripped on a lease?

Everything is negotiable.  That is just dealer bs.

Leases are tools just like loans are tools.  If you have a temporary need for a particular style of vehicle, a lease is the perfect option.  If (like my wife) the car that she loved 12 months ago, she now hates and it makes the kids car sick, a lease is a god send.  If like me, you were in an accident that did major damage to the car and the car wasn't declared a total loss (hopefully unlike me) then a lease is also a god send.

If however, you never anticipate trading the car.  Anticipate driving the car for 5 to 6 years, are willing to take the risks of auto repairs, disposing of the vehicle yourself and like to make payments over and above your regular payments, then a loan is the way to go.  But, I would also recommend a used car (just off lease preferably) to a new car in this circumstance.

I negotiated hard on both my recent leases, so that I didn't come out of pocket, made sure I received the lowest possible money factor and got extras thrown in.  If we love the car, I can purchase at lease end.  We have about come to the conclusion that having one car on lease, one car (owned/financed) and one car paid for is the way to go for us.  The hassle of disposing our last two vehicles really pushes me to the leasing camp.  Particularly when I look at the cost of ownership of 2 leased vehicles which is less than the cost of ownership of 1 financed vehicle and one older model used car that is paid for.

@Anonymous wrote:
I've seen where people got decent leases but every dealer I've dealt with said lease terms aren't negotiable and what they advertise is all they have.

Seems like the best leases are on cars that depreciate less during the term since you are paying depreciation.

Are leases recommended when planning to keep car or just when turning in for sure?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.