cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying off my auto loan question

tag
bape7u

paying off my auto loan question

Hi, I have an auto loan with the balance around 7k. it was a 20k 36 months loan. I am thinking about paying it off since I am looking to apply for a mortage. I believe the loan has 1 year left. since i don't want this loan included into my debt to income ratio. the question is...when i pay it off, will it reduce my average age of account? does it still count my loan as a 3 years loan or? i have a TU fico 740 with 1 yr 7 months average age of account. i really don't want to lower the average age of account

Credit cards: Cap1 Quicksilver 5.5k , BOA cash rewards 5k, AE BCE 10k
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: paying off my auto loan question

@mutew8tch wrote:

Hi, I have an auto loan with the balance around 7k. it was a 20k 36 months loan. I am thinking about paying it off since I am looking to apply for a mortage. I believe the loan has 1 year left. since i don't want this loan included into my debt to income ratio. the question is...when i pay it off, will it reduce my average age of account? does it still count my loan as a 3 years loan or? i have a TU fico 740 with 1 yr 7 months average age of account. i really don't want to lower the average age of account

Hello and welcome.

Your AAoA will not be impacted by this paid off, closed account. Your AAoA is the sum of the ages of every account (except CA collections and public records) on your report, whether open or closed. This is measured from the time each account was opened until present.

Message 2 of 4
mschang
Regular Contributor

i read a few posts about people's scores decreasing after a CO fell off because their AAOA went down

Starting Score: EQ FICO 588 EX FICO 587 TU FICO 588
Current Score: EQ FICO 660 EX FICO 642 TU FICO 606
Goal Score: 680
Message 3 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@mschang wrote:

i read a few posts about people's scores decreasing after a CO fell off because their AAOA went down

Yes that can happen from time to time.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.