cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A card that was left off the bankruptcy accidentally?

tag
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

A card that was left off the bankruptcy accidentally?

When going thru my credit reports, I noticed there was an account that was listed as open and reporting as paid every month for the last year.  It's never had a balance and even though I did apply for and was approved for the card, I never activated it and just put it aside in case of a medical issue as it's a MC with a special Zero Interest for 6 Months on any medical bill paid with it.  So I forgot all about it until I saw it on my EXP report.

I checked again the bankruptcy paperwork that my attorney filed and she indeed did leave it off for some reason.  Possibly because it's ONLY reporting on my EXP report right now and she overlooked it when filling out all the forms? So last night I called to activate it and it went through without an issue and gave me all the card info (balance, CL, etc).  So on the way this morning I needed gas anyway so I tried to use it to fill my truck and it went through without an issue.

So I guess my question is two-fold.  Has this happened to anyone else before?  And since it's working, does this mean it will be a good account going forward after my Ch7 or will the card issuer possibly decide to pull my credit in the near future and see the Ch7 and close the account?

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dataka
Established Member

Re: A card that was left off the bankruptcy accidentally?

They will close the account.

Message 2 of 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Whose is the lender?
Message 3 of 11
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Whose is the lender?

Pinnacle Bank

Loans:

Closed accounts:
Message 4 of 11
onstar
Established Contributor

I had 5 Comenity cards when I filed for BK7. 1 had a balance of $5000+ and it was IIB. The other 4 had $0 balance, and they were not IIB. The 1 was successfully discharged while the other 4 survived the BK7. So immediately after BK7 discharge, I had over $15K in revolving credit line.

It's been 3+ years now. I don't think they're going to cancel them due to BK7. Furthermore, Comenity has since approved me for 2 additional cards, so I think I'm good with Comenity now.

HOWEVER. Everyone tells me that I got really lucky and that this is not the norm. So I'm wishing you luck.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 5 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It happens. Many reports some cards slipped thru the cracks. Enjoy it. Fingerhut leads the pack.

Message 6 of 11
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

I would refrain from using the surviving cards to avoid poking the bear except a tiny purchase to keep it active once it's been inactive for a year. Use the survivors to get a head start on the credit rebuild before the survivors get shut down 

Message 7 of 11
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

@onstar wrote:

I had 5 Comenity cards when I filed for BK7. 1 had a balance of $5000+ and it was IIB. The other 4 had $0 balance, and they were not IIB. The 1 was successfully discharged while the other 4 survived the BK7. So immediately after BK7 discharge, I had over $15K in revolving credit line.

It's been 3+ years now. I don't think they're going to cancel them due to BK7. Furthermore, Comenity has since approved me for 2 additional cards, so I think I'm good with Comenity now.

HOWEVER. Everyone tells me that I got really lucky and that this is not the norm. So I'm wishing you luck.

Thanks, I guess I'll see how it goes.  My daughter needs her wisdom teeth out and after insurance our OOP is going to be ≈ $900 and that card has 6 months of zero interest for any medical charge over $499, so I'm going to plan on using it for that.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Loans:

Closed accounts:
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@onstar wrote:

This happened to me too!  2 comenity cards, but they had zero balances at time of filing etc and it's been 1yr 9mos since dc.  This is not the norm?  I figured it was because they both (Overstock and Victoria's Secret) were at zero.  Hmm have I gotten any new Comenity?  Oh wait I forgot the Overstock got closed for inactivity like a year later so I reopened an account, so kinda.   Oh and was Wayfair Comenity too?  I had that one til they moved to Citi, which obvi with a recent bk I was NOT transitioned to their new card.  So possibly three made it through.  

Message 9 of 11
Malike
Established Member

My Delta Skymiles Amex survived, 2+ years now and still in good standing.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.