Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX after CH7? Anyone?

tag
ToofDoc
Contributor

AMEX after CH7? Anyone?

Anyone had success to get back on AMEX's good graces after their CH7 DC?  If so, please share your experiences on timeframe.

Also do you think applying for a business AMEX card would have a different outcome if the business owner had recent business and personal AMEX accounts in the personal DC?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX after CH7? Anyone?

@ToofDoc wrote:

Anyone had success to get back on AMEX's good graces after their CH7 DC?  If so, please share your experiences on timeframe.

Also do you think applying for a business AMEX card would have a different outcome if the business owner had recent business and personal AMEX accounts in the personal DC?

If you DIDN'T include Amex in BK the waiting period is 5.5 years.

If you DID include them, expect to wait decades 

Business vs. personal doesn't matter. 

Message 2 of 25
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

@dragontears  Was it changed recently to 5.5 years? I've heard people getting in at 5 years or 5 years 1 month.

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 3 of 25
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@DebtStinks wrote:

@dragontears  Was it changed recently to 5.5 years? I've heard people getting in at 5 years or 5 years 1 month.

@DebtStinks 

Sorry, that was a typo (meant to type 5.1 not 5.5), last I heard you are correct, it is 5 years and a month. 

Message 4 of 25
Scupra
Super Contributor

5 years post discharge. No issues here, obtained 2 cards but no prior relationship with AMEX
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 25
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

ToofDoc,

I was approved for an Amex 5 years and one month for a BCE card.  I tried the preapproval tool and there was a HP on TU when I did the app. I also have the cash magnet and Amazon Prime Business. I have never had to send any POI or business documents. Also for the cash magnet card, it was a SP.

If you get a solid hit on the preapproval tool, you should definitely consider trying it. 

Also I didn't include them in my bankruptcy. That old Amex account was closed in good standing.

Guyatthebeach

Message 6 of 25
ToofDoc
Contributor

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

ToofDoc,

I was approved for an Amex 5 years and one month for a BCE card.  I tried the preapproval tool and there was a HP on TU when I did the app. I also have the cash magnet and Amazon Prime Business. I have never had to send any POI or business documents. Also for the cash magnet card, it was a SP.

If you get a solid hit on the preapproval tool, you should definitely consider trying it. 

Also I didn't include them in my bankruptcy. That old Amex account was closed in good standing.

Guyatthebeach

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Unfortunately I will not be so lucky I'm afraid. I burned 3 AMEX cards in my 2019 Ch7. I'll try them again in 2024 

Message 7 of 25
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

Extremely likely you'll never get another Amex in your life. Wasting a HP in 2024 is wildly optimistic. They never forget. 

Message 8 of 25
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

ToofDoc,

If those were personal cards, Amex will probably blacklist you for life. When you reach month 61, you can try the preapproval tool and go from there. 

Keep on working to rebuild your credit. There are some great cards out there. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 9 of 25
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

You do have the option to pay them back while you are not legally obligated to do so.  People get back in with Amex this way.  They have the Optima program to help with paying back what is owed to them.

If not, like others have mentioned, it'll likely be much longer than 5 years and 1 month.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.