Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

***CH7 Discharge - need help on rebuilding again

tag
TXNC919

***CH7 Discharge - need help on rebuilding again

Hello, 

I just received my discharge on 6/17/2024. I applied for Mission Lane credit card and was approved for $3k. I was thinking of getting some type of credit builder loan from either a credit union or from SELF, don't know too much about them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do? 
Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FicoNuco

Re: ***CH7 Discharge - need help on rebuilding again

Bankruptcy Chapter 7 was discharged on 2/26/2024.

02/28/2024, I signed up for Kikoff credit with a $2,500 limit.

03/06/2024, I applied for an Ally Mastercard with a $1,500 limit.

03/07/2024, I obtained a Capital One SavorOne card with a $2,000 limit

03/07/2024, I signed up for a Kikoff Credit Builder Loan for $120.

06/10/2024, I was approved for a Capital One Venture card with an $8,000 limit.

06/21/2024, both my Capital One Venture and SavorOne card limits were increased to $13,000 for the venture card and $2,200 for the SavorOne.

This is my rebuilding journey so far. For reference, I’ve been paying my credit card bills in full and before the closing date so that it reports a zero balance to the credit bureau. I also frequently use the SavorOne card and make multiple payments, which may have contributed to Capital One approving the Venture card and increasing my credit limits in a short period of time.

Message 2 of 6
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@TXNC919 wrote:

Hello, 

I just received my discharge on 6/17/2024. I applied for Mission Lane credit card and was approved for $3k. I was thinking of getting some type of credit builder loan from either a credit union or from SELF, don't know too much about them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do? 
Thanks in advance 

I would avoid SELF, if you want a credit builder loan, open an account with either PenFed or NFCU, park some money there for 30 days, and then borrow against it.  This is called a Secured Share Loan; neither of the credit unions list it as an option on their web sites, but if you call their customer service, they will open the account up for you.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 3 of 6
TXNC919

Thank you; I will look into the PenFed & NFCU 👍

Message 4 of 6
TXNC919

Thank you, I will look into some of these also 

Message 5 of 6
brendini
Established Member

@FicoNuco wrote:

Bankruptcy Chapter 7 was discharged on 2/26/2024.

This is my rebuilding journey so far. For reference, I’ve been paying my credit card bills in full and before the closing date so that it reports a zero balance to the credit bureau. I also frequently use the SavorOne card and make multiple payments, which may have contributed to Capital One approving the Venture card and increasing my credit limits in a short period of time.

I didn't burn CapOne and their accounts were paid in full each month.  The preapproval tool only shows me Secured Cards.  My scores are in good range. 

Did you check and find that you had preapproval for unsecured cards with CapOne?

3/2023-Closed 9/2023 CapitalOne Quicksilver Secured SL $500 - Closed
9/2023 Discover Miles SL $13,500
1/2024 Ally Everyday Unlimited SL $2,000-7/2024 $2,900
7/2024 Savor One SL $4,000
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.