Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can AMEX Do This to My Credit Report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can AMEX Do This to My Credit Report?

So my Ch7 was discharged the beginning of Jan 2016. Feeling good getting a few Cap1 cards, a new car loan ... and then I ask Cap1 for a CLI. 

They denied my due to a recent late on my Equifax.

Huh? Since my discharge I've been on top of everything!

Pull my report and the only recent late I see is from AMEX who said I had at least one 90+ day late in Oct of 2015. 

This is BS. 

I filed Ch7 in Oct 2015. AMEX has not updated my credit report in several years. 

The most recent credit activity in my report for AMEX is 2009! I filed Ch13 in 2013 which is when AMEX also wrote off the debt. I paid on my 2013 for 18 mos when I lost my job. My Ch13 was dismissed in Nov 2014 for non-payment. I didnt convert over to Ch7 right away. 

When I did file Ch7 in Oct 2015 AMEX was again listed on the creditor list. 

Keep in mind AMEX hadn't updated my report in several years. Only after I filed Ch7 did they feel the need to do so. 

I want to dispute this but how do I word it? The fact that the last activity on the account was almost 7 years ago or the fact they reported it charged off long ago. Or can I simply get them to delete as they reported the late the same month I filed Ch7? 

Any and all ideas are welcome!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Can AMEX Do This to My Credit Report?

@Anonymous wrote:

So my Ch7 was discharged the beginning of Jan 2016. Feeling good getting a few Cap1 cards, a new car loan ... and then I ask Cap1 for a CLI. 

They denied my due to a recent late on my Equifax.

Huh? Since my discharge I've been on top of everything!

Pull my report and the only recent late I see is from AMEX who said I had at least one 90+ day late in Oct of 2015. 

This is BS. 

I filed Ch7 in Oct 2015. AMEX has not updated my credit report in several years. 

The most recent credit activity in my report for AMEX is 2009! I filed Ch13 in 2013 which is when AMEX also wrote off the debt. I paid on my 2013 for 18 mos when I lost my job. My Ch13 was dismissed in Nov 2014 for non-payment. I didnt convert over to Ch7 right away. 

When I did file Ch7 in Oct 2015 AMEX was again listed on the creditor list. 

Keep in mind AMEX hadn't updated my report in several years. Only after I filed Ch7 did they feel the need to do so. 

I want to dispute this but how do I word it? The fact that the last activity on the account was almost 7 years ago or the fact they reported it charged off long ago. Or can I simply get them to delete as they reported the late the same month I filed Ch7? 

Any and all ideas are welcome!!

I had a similar problem with Amex with my own BK years ago; in my case they had stopped updating my account (just like you) and I had to dispute it directly with the credit bureaus as "Not late; included in bankruptcy". 

In my case rather than update/correct the status, they simply deleted it from the reports altogether (which was fine as well).

While it shouldn't have been necessary, it was relatively painless, especially compared to the process I had just been though.

Good luck, and hang in there!  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 5
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

From my understanding, American Express recently went through and updated many credit reports that were IIB - supposedly, they only updated the comments to show what type of BK it was (mine was listed as Bankrputcy - Unknown Chapter prior and now says Bankruptcy - Chapter 7).  Like you, they hadn't updated the credit reports since discharge, and then they updated within the last month.

You could call the AmEx Credit Reporting Unit.  The number is 800-874-2717. Keep in mind that you must have a current credit report before calling. They will ask for the account number from the credit report, which is different than your card - so, make sure to pull one direct from Equifax or whatever credit report is messing you up.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 5
mtnblu116
Established Member

So Strange! Just had this happen to me as too, but if they just updated everything I can see why it happened. I had called Transunion last week to dipute because for some reason I'm unable to dispute online with them. I told them not late, included in Bankruptcy. So we will see what happens.

Message 4 of 5
NattyPButter
Contributor

Chase did this samething on fiance's account. Just waiting for discharge then she'll call to dispute it. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.