Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capitol One Credit Card Application - Rebuild

tag
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

Capitol One Credit Card Application - Rebuild

Hello, I recently filed for Chapter 7 and have completed my meeting of creditors. At this time I'm currently waiting for discharge and have decided to start applying for credit cards to help me with my rebuild.

Today I visited Capitol One's site to see if I'd be pre-approved. The site didn't pre-approve me for a card but it recommended I apply for their unsecure platinum card and the secure platium card. I decided to apply for the Unsecure card first and to my surprise I wasn't declined but I recieved the 7-10 day message. After reading and seeing that I can apply for multiple card from them in one day and recieve only one inquiry, I decided to apply for their secure card and was instantly denied. Very confusing as I didn't get an instant denial for the unsecure card. Is there a strong possibility that I'll be approved for the unsecure card? At this time I have no revolving credit accounts and seriously need them to start my rebuild.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

Re: Capitol One Credit Card Application - Rebuild

I also meant to add that I've never been a member of capitol one nor have used any of their lending and credit services.

Current FICO are EX:530 - TU:540 - EQ:562. Discharge isn't scheduled for July

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn’t get approved for a capital one secured card until after my discharge on March 4, 2018 (discharge was Mar 1). Two months later on May 4, 2018 I was approved for an unsecured cares with a $300 limit. Try applying post discharge. Good luck!
Message 3 of 4
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your feed back. I meant to log on and give an update...

So Capitol One did approve me for their unsecure platiunum card pre chapter 7 discharge. The issue was I had a 7 year fraud alert on my equifax and this caused issues with Capitol One. I made a call to Capitol One and asked of the status and they told me I was pending due to the fraud alert and I'd need to call the credit agencies to have it removed. I called equifax and it was removed over the phone. Called Capitol One back and was approved over the phone for $300. The operator said my secure card application was likely kicked back for the same issue and suggested I reapply. i decieded not to because I've also been approved for the secure Discover IT. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.