cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car dealer leeches post BK

MileHigh96
Regular Contributor

Car dealer leeches post BK

Does anyone know if there is any way to get off their list?  I don't know if they all just troll the BK filing discharges or if they have some 'master list' they all share, but it's absolutely annoying.  They seem to show up almost the day after the discharge is final.  I just don't like the fact that they have my name and address on all the mailings along with the fact that I'm post BK, so I can't just throw these things away, I need to open each one and put them through the paper shredder.  Some even go through the trouble of sending you a 'fake' credit card looking thing with your name on it that then needs to be cut up on top of it.

I guess it's just more of an annoyance more than anything, but it would be nice if there was a way to put an end to it if possible.  I have had at least 4 dozen of them since my BK was discharged about 10 weeks ago.  Sad to see how they just prey on those trying to recover from credit issues.

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021

Loans:

Credit Cards:

FICO8 Scores on 08/19/2021:

FICO8 Scores on 11/22/2021:
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

Re: Car dealer leeches post BK

@MileHigh96, the truth is, our bankruptcies, successfully discharged or not, are a matter of public record, so you really cannot hide that information.  I have noticed a few of the credit card applications I've been sent have a way to request no future contacts, however, taking advantage of that will, in theory at least, block you from ALL future offers, regardless of where said offer is coming from.  So, given I've been annoyed by the 47 CreditOne "Pre-Approvals" I've been sent, I have also been pleased to get a few of the offers, so I haven't opted out.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

Message 2 of 19
anniea4001
Regular Contributor

@MileHigh96 I asked my lawyer the same because I started rceiving those as soon as I filled. And unfortunately they get your information from public records so there is no "list" you can opt out of.

Now, 6 months after discharge I don't get as many anymore but I still get one here and there. But yes, it is annoying as heck. 

Message 3 of 19
MileHigh96
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I didn't figure there was a way out of it. Wasn't thinking of "hiding" the BK per se because I know it's public record, was just hoping there was a way to opt out of having these car dealers leave me alone and stop sending me unsolicited car loan offers. And @Horseshoez I definitely don't want to opt out of all credit offers, so that definitely wouldn't be the way I want to go, just have to deal with them until they taper off and eventually stop.

Loans:

Credit Cards:

Message 4 of 19
MileHigh96
Regular Contributor

@anniea4001 wrote:

@MileHigh96 I asked my lawyer the same because I started rceiving those as soon as I filled. And unfortunately they get your information from public records so there is no "list" you can opt out of.

Now, 6 months after discharge I don't get as many anymore but I still get one here and there. But yes, it is annoying as heck. 

I was hoping there was some master list that car dealers used lol but I guess they all just troll the BK filings and send out mass letters to everyone when they get discharged.  Such a crappy way to do business IMHO.

Loans:

Credit Cards:

Message 5 of 19
anniea4001
Regular Contributor

@MileHigh96 I assume it works much like when realtors buy lists of repo properties. Someone compiles the list based on public records sells the list to businesses willing to pay for it. 

I read somewhere that there is a way to delete said public record (BK), but I am not sure if it real or even legal. So I would say just ignore them. It gets better with time. 

Message 6 of 19
Cowboys4Life
Regular Contributor

@MileHigh96 wrote:

@anniea4001 wrote:

I was hoping there was some master list that car dealers used lol but I guess they all just troll the BK filings and send out mass letters to everyone when they get discharged.  Such a crappy way to do business IMHO.

I got those too after my BK.  At least I could throw them out.  I just bought my first house and was warned by friends but never realized how bad it would be.  Solar panels, landscapers, pest control, windows ALL ignore the "No Soliciting" sign by the doorbell and bug the living crap out of you.  Worse it is in person so you can't just toss an advert.  I finally invested in a Ring doorbell camera where I can give them a hard NO then ignore them.  Or just ignore them all together.

Message 7 of 19
MileHigh96
Regular Contributor

@Cowboys4Life wrote:

@MileHigh96 wrote:

@anniea4001 wrote:

I got those too after my BK.  At least I could throw them out.  I just bought my first house and was warned by friends but never realized how bad it would be.  Solar panels, landscapers, pest control, windows ALL ignore the "No Soliciting" sign by the doorbell and bug the living crap out of you.  Worse it is in person so you can't just toss an advert.  I finally invested in a Ring doorbell camera where I can give them a hard NO then ignore them.  Or just ignore them all together.

Been there, done that for sure.  And 9 years later it still keeps coming on that front.  The Ring was the way to go.  We too have a No Soliciting sign on the front door but it was ALWAYS ignored.  We got a Ring doorbell plus a couple of other Ring cameras out front and since we've installed those a few years ago, other than the occasional one here and there, the door-to-door solicitors have pretty much stopped coming to our door.

Loans:

Credit Cards:

Message 8 of 19
FireMedic1
Super Contributor

Well its not as bad as become a member of AARP's constant slam mail in your 50's. Smiley Very Happy

Homeowner since Sept 2020. My posts are JMHO. My siggy is not to brag. Just sharing my experiences after BK from learning here from rebuild to recovery from the @ 540's.
Message 9 of 19
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Well its not as bad as become a member of AARP's constant slam mail in your 50's. Smiley Very Happy

I finally joined AARP to take advantage of their relationship with The Hartford for insurance; my auto insurance dropped from nearly $2,900 per year to $1,045; my residential insurance also dropped by over half.  Yeah, we still get a few AARP mailers, but nothing like before I joined.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.