Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CarMax prequal

tag
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

CarMax prequal

So while browsing facebook I saw an ad with carmax. my friend got a car with them and then had some issues and carmax took care of it. 

So I decided to try their pre-qual. I found out their pre-qual has a hard inquiry... 😢

Anyway I was approved 1,000 down 19% 10k. Only requirements are proof of income and discharge proof. They offered to take my car for $200 less than book.

Gonna turn this down, was really only wanting my rates without an hard pull but oh well. Now I know. Their website says no impact to your credit score, can I dispute the inquiry? They pulled equifax and experian.

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: CarMax prequal

Carmax has always been a hard pull for as long as I've known about them. You can try to dispute, but inquiries are near impossible to get off without the lender taking care of it.

Message 2 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Try Cap One.  Def a SP.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 6
anniea4001
Regular Contributor

I personally hate Carmax. 

I went there several years ago, after I had already been approved by my lender (who directed me to Carmax as one of the dealers they work with). I explained my situation and showed them my approval paperwork and the vehicle I wanted. They lied to my face and still ran my credit, like 12 times with a bunch of lenders.

When I asked them to remove the inquiries because I did not authorize them, they basically washed their hands and gave me a lame excuse. 

I ended up using the lender I had already been approved for to begin with because they had the best rate at the time.

So, 12 hard pulls for nothing. 

I also had an issue with the car, and they were a total pain to work with to get it fixed.

I would never do business with them again. 

I tried to dispute the inquiries with the respective lenders but I had no luck and had to wait for them to fall off my credit. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes carmax is the worst.  They drop the ball on every part of the transaction even after the fact.  They try to be different than normal dealers, but they still havent figured out that they are just making the process so much harder on the grounds that "you dont have to nogociate"  Big whoop.  Their prices are inflated anyway and you SHOULD be nogociating with them but you cant.  Then they want to hit you with all the high priced accessories and warranties.  Yeah no thanks, not for a used car.

Message 5 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I personally love CarMax.

I have purchased at least 5 cars from them and I have sold them at least 3.

Never had any issues.

The right deal can be found if you are patient and willing to ship in from another location.

I bought an F150 from them, never had a problem, then sold it back to them 4 years later for $5k less than I bought it for.

Just like any large company, different branches are likely to provide different levels of satisfaction.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.