Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 13 closed not discharged where to go from here

tag
BobStauffer

Chapter 13 closed not discharged where to go from here

Hello

i have a chapter 13 question to ask everyone if I could please.  

I went through a ch 7 in June of 2014 and unfortunately I had to go through a ch 13 in June of 2016.   My plan of r spaying the 13 was a 5 year plan and is paid off as of June of 2021.  I got a letter stating it is closed and not discharged.  Everything I am reading says it's do to the fact they are too close together.  My credit reports do not state my 13 is closed and only mention it is filed with $0 due on the plan  I do have the letter stating the plan is closed.  My question is should my credit reports say closed?  And also how do get my plan discharged so I can rebuild my score with new credit?  

thank you in advance.  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chapter 13 closed not discharged where to go from here

I found this:

If a bankruptcy case is closed without a discharge because an individual debtor did not timely file a Certificate of Completion of Instructional Course Concerning Personal Financial Management, a debtor must file a Motion to Reopen the Case. Closing does not necessarily mean that all adversary proceedings are finished.

Did you do the course?

Message 2 of 5
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

It's obvious you filed too soon from the chapter 7 filing. However, you did get the benefit from the automatic stay for the entire five years and reduced the interest rate to either zero or something pretty close to it.  But asking for a discharge when you know you filed too soon is probably a bridge way too far. 

Message 3 of 5
BobStauffer

Ok that is what I understand is the issue.  But now that it is closed where do I go from here?  What are my options for building new credit?  

And yes I have the completed education certificate. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not ask an attorney what your options are?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.