Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7 - Auto Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chapter 7 - Auto Loan

Hi all,

I have what in my opinion may be an odd situation with an auto loan that was charged off. I recently filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and I’m curious if the lender will come for the car. In January of 2021 it was written off as a Profit Loss Write off, per my credit report. I hadn’t made a payment since late 2019. At the time i owed about $20,000. The vehicle never reported as out for repo and I’m currently in possession of it. I never received a collections call or letter from an agency. I haven’t received a 1099 yet, but included the vehicle in my BK. Would my BK discharge the 1099? Would i be able to get the title from the lender if it was or would they withhold it from me? Why wouldn’t the lender come get the car? Is it possible for a lender to the reverse a 1099 write off?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chapter 7 - Auto Loan

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

I have what in my opinion may be an odd situation with an auto loan that was charged off. I recently filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and I’m curious if the lender will come for the car. In January of 2021 it was written off as a Profit Loss Write off, per my credit report. I hadn’t made a payment since late 2019. At the time i owed about $20,000. The vehicle never reported as out for repo and I’m currently in possession of it. I never received a collections call or letter from an agency. I haven’t received a 1099 yet, but included the vehicle in my BK. Would my BK discharge the 1099? Would i be able to get the title from the lender if it was or would they withhold it from me? Why wouldn’t the lender come get the car? Is it possible for a lender to the reverse a 1099 write off?

How much is the vehicle worth today?  If it's worth anything after towing/impound/auction fees, they will eventually come in the middle of the night or while you're at work and take it from you. With a $20k loan in 2019, I assume the car has to be worth enough to repo. Don't leave anything inside of the car. 

Message 2 of 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chapter 7 - Auto Loan

Anything that happened with the auto loan before BK as in CO. The balance should have been DC'ed and the car repo'ed. `Weird you still have it. Are you making any payments as of now?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.