Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditor added to report after discharge

tag
AutumnH
New Contributor

Creditor added to report after discharge

My chapter 7 was discharged June 2015. I've been watching my credit score close to rebuild. I get an alert Friday saying my score dropped 30pts because a collection had been added. I included this medical debt in my bankruptcy, although it hadn't it my credit report. Looking at my paperwork it clearly states the doctor office and the balance.

Is there anything I can do? Should I just dispute it and send copies of my discharge and showing I listed them as a creditor?
Chapter 7 Discharged June 2015

Trying to rebuild
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AutumnH
New Contributor

Re: Creditor added to report after discharge

I'm so nervous and agitated about this!! Ugh!

Trying to rebuild
Message 2 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Contact the creditor immediately. Tell them that debt was discharged in your BK (provide your BK #), and the fact that it was a Ch 7.  They have to remove the debt immediately.  Contact an attorney if you don't see the removal immediately.  Sometimes you have to have a letter from the attorney to get them to remove it.  They can't add a discharged debt to your credit report after your discharge. 

Message 3 of 9
AutumnH
New Contributor

Thank you!! Contacted them and gave them the information and told them I could fax showing they were included. So now I'm waiting to see!

Trying to rebuild
Message 4 of 9
AutumnH
New Contributor

I'm so frustrated!!! I contacted the creditor letting them know that I included them in Bankruptcy gave the date of filing and discharge. Called back today and they told me that I created this bill after I filed bankruptcy. I filed 2/26/15 they say I went to the same doctor I have listed on my creditor matrix on 3/15/15. Now common sense would tell you why would i go visit a doctor who have an outstanding bill with and filed bankruptcy on. Woman Frustrated. So I faxed showing them my info of them listed and now I'm waiting again.

Trying to rebuild
Message 5 of 9
AutumnH
New Contributor

Ok. Lets say I did visit the doctor 3/15/15 after I filed my paperwork 2/26/15 and they are added to my bankruptcy...Can they still collect on that debt? Even though it was discharged in June 2015? Or will i need to file a motion on that creditor?

Trying to rebuild
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can and will and have every right to collect on a bill that was not included in the bankruptcy.

Forgetting to list a creditor in bankruptcy is not an infrequent occurrence. Therefore, the courts have set up a procedure that allows you to reopen your previously closed bankruptcy and amend your initial petition to list the omitted creditor. The process requires you file a written request, called a motion, with the bankruptcy court that handled your case and ask that it reopen your bankruptcy. You will need to explain how you need to amend your petition, and any other schedules and forms filed with the court, to include a creditor that you omitted in the previous filing and provide a statement to the court explaining why the creditor was not listed in the initial filing.  This is not going to go away on its own...you have to file to reopen and amend your case...if it is large bill it may be worth it...if its small...pay it off and lick your wounds...  Good Luck!

Message 7 of 9
AutumnH
New Contributor

Thanks sparky86! Ugh! This hurt my feelings so bad! Messed up my day! Because I've been working hard on rebuilding. But yea it's only $375 so I guess I'll lick my wounds. But if I pay it...won't it stay on my report still?

Trying to rebuild
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It you don't modify to include it in your petition...and you don't pay it...you are going to end up with an unpaid collection/charge off on your report no matter what. If its paid off it wont make such a negative impact in time...it will reage the debt but if you plan to just pay it off...that wont matter...just please dont pay $20 on it and then decide to not pay it again because then you are starting a cycle all over.  That just my opinion take it with a grain of salt and shot of tequila Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.