Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demoralized

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Demoralized

Start off with the Good news, My Bankruptcy was discharged on 10/26/2015. Now the Bad.... I applied for Cap one and got denied even the Secured Card said I would get a letter in the mail in regards to the reason. I did include a Secured Card in My Chapter 7 filing but I had never been late on it once and PIF each month. 

I tried Credit One and got Denied for that as well...

My Car is near the breaking point, I had an old Capital One Auto Loan from April 2014 that was involved in an accident in May of 2015. I did have 3 times I was late in a row because I had lost my job, As soon as I got a new job it was paid perfect after. the car was completely paid off by insurance for 14k in June 2015. It Reports as Paid Off on my report. 

I tried to apply for a Cap One Auto loan thinking since i have a paid off loan with them I would be approved.... Nope Declined as well.

I have 1,000 to put down on a car, and I don't want to buy a junker especially living in Colorado with the Snow coming up soon. I'm only looking for a 10k-11k auto loan and I know I will be paying high interest. Heck I was paying 22% interest on my old Capital One Auto Loan prior to BK.

I'm at a loss for where to begin my rebuilding journey. How do I rebuild if I can't even get a secured credit card? Also Am I totally screwed in getting an auto loan as well if Cap One Declined me?

My Scores from MYFico. Equifax 508 (Reporting BK Discharged), Experian 519 (Reporting BK Discharged), Transunion 433 (Not Reporting BK Discharged)

Transunion I also have an Open account with Diversified Collecting for Sprint that does not show IIB. In Fact I called them and they tried to tell me they can't fix it because that is not what they do and I have to Call Sprint if I want it fixed. I think this is hurting my TU Score showing an Open Collection account for $1034. I have disputed this directly with Transunion so hopefully it gets taken care of.

Experian was quick and completely removed my other reporting open account in 1 day. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Demoralized

so your bk was discharged yesterday? So im guessing you started applying today?  Because now would be the time to start, not during the bk

You gotta go through your reports now that your BK is discharged and clean everything up.  Make sure everything says disharged through BK and has a 0 balance. I had multiple things that said disharged but held a balance. When i got that dixed my score went up about 30 points.  Also im sure your sprint issue was discharged with BK right? If so then it needs to show that and a 0 balance on your credit report.    Get your credit cleaned up fix all the errors then apply 

Message 2 of 5
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your discharge.

I've been where you are, and right now, time is your #1 ally. Before apping, make sure your report is correct and make the appropriate updates. After everything is clean, you should be on your way. Patience is key - it's only been a couple of days. This is the time when most of the credit reporting errors take place. I had so many accounts listed incorrectly or as duplicates.

Best of luck to you!

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off...breathe for a minute. Things might look bleak, but they will be ok.

Second...if you want a secured card, go for the OpenSky card. They don't pull credit, only require a $200 deposit to open, and report quickly to the credit bureaus. I didn't want to risk a denial after my BK and went that route. That was before I found these forums. I might not have needed it, but I'm still glad I did. It was nice to get a true CC in my wallet again.

Third...give it some time. There are lenders out there that will help you get a car. You will definitely pay for it, but it can happen. Just realize that the rates will be completely outrageous. Try not to get something you are upside down in and plan on either refinancing or trading the car in a few months when you might be able to get better rates. We were able to get back in with Cap1 4 months post discharge and a car loan from them at just over 10% (for an older, high mileage car) at 6 months post discharge.

Fourth...don't go and apply for every credit line out there. Make a plan and try to stick to it. 

Good luck on your journey!

Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Start off with the Good news, My Bankruptcy was discharged on 10/26/2015. Now the Bad.... I applied for Cap one and got denied even the Secured Card said I would get a letter in the mail in regards to the reason. I did include a Secured Card in My Chapter 7 filing but I had never been late on it once and PIF each month. 

I tried Credit One and got Denied for that as well...

My Car is near the breaking point, I had an old Capital One Auto Loan from April 2014 that was involved in an accident in May of 2015. I did have 3 times I was late in a row because I had lost my job, As soon as I got a new job it was paid perfect after. the car was completely paid off by insurance for 14k in June 2015. It Reports as Paid Off on my report. 

I tried to apply for a Cap One Auto loan thinking since i have a paid off loan with them I would be approved.... Nope Declined as well.

I have 1,000 to put down on a car, and I don't want to buy a junker especially living in Colorado with the Snow coming up soon. I'm only looking for a 10k-11k auto loan and I know I will be paying high interest. Heck I was paying 22% interest on my old Capital One Auto Loan prior to BK.

I'm at a loss for where to begin my rebuilding journey. How do I rebuild if I can't even get a secured credit card? Also Am I totally screwed in getting an auto loan as well if Cap One Declined me?

My Scores from MYFico. Equifax 508 (Reporting BK Discharged), Experian 519 (Reporting BK Discharged), Transunion 433 (Not Reporting BK Discharged)

Transunion I also have an Open account with Diversified Collecting for Sprint that does not show IIB. In Fact I called them and they tried to tell me they can't fix it because that is not what they do and I have to Call Sprint if I want it fixed. I think this is hurting my TU Score showing an Open Collection account for $1034. I have disputed this directly with Transunion so hopefully it gets taken care of.

Experian was quick and completely removed my other reporting open account in 1 day. 

As everyone above has said you have to clean up your reports before you begin to apply.  It has only been two days since you received your discharge, not enough time to clean up your reports.

The two items that are hurting you (from what you posted) are shown in red above. Having the discharge not showing on TU is hurting you but having a collection that shows as open AFTER your Bk is killing your score.  You need to get that removed or shown as iib and zero balance. Until you handle that specificallly, you will have a very tough time getting new credit. 

I had a collection co do they same thing to me, put on a collection after my Bk. I had it removed immediately because they added it for a debt that was discharged and that is a violation of the discharge injunction. 

Was your collection on your CR before filing or afterward? If before, then they have to mark it iib and zero balance. If afterward and it was for a discharged debt, they have to remove it. Some of these collectors bully you thinking you don't know that it has to be removed, so be prepared to get your point across (firmly). 

Here is an example of someone collecting from a violation of the discharge injunction, but this one is for a home surrendered in Bk. Yours is for unsecured debt (Sprint bill) so the process is the same or similar but the dollars are lower ..do some research and you will see. Mine was removed within 24 hours but I had to speak to a (real) supervisor, not the phone jockey that kept calling me. 

http://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnewsroom/bankruptcy/b/bankruptcy-law-blog/archive/2012/04/02/florida-case-provides-textbook-example-of-how-to-handle-a-discharge-violation.aspx

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.