Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Scores compared to the individual Bureaus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Scores compared to the individual Bureaus

What is the best source for credit scores that lenders use in making credit decisions?  myFICO scores are different that that scores on Equifax, Transunion, and Experian and also different when a creditor "pulls" for decision making.  So frustrating!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: FICO Scores compared to the individual Bureaus

There are numerous score versions depending on what you're applying for. General, bank card, auto, or mortgage. Currently, just about everyone uses fico 8. The myfico scores are fico 8. If you're getting something different from the bureaus, you're probably being given your vantagescore 3.0. But, the bureaus will give you you're fico score if you pay them. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  Does anyone use the new vantage 9?  I wish since my vantage 9 cracks 700 when all others mid to high 600's

Message 3 of 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

The new vantagescore is 4.0, do you mean fico 9? If so, it's mainly credit unions that do.

Message 4 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There are 25 different scores. The normal FICO 8 which most used. Credit Cards from some banks use FICO Bankcard 8. Mortgages use another FICO score model. Depending on who the institution is and what your applying may differ. Like NFCU uses FICO 9. It all depends on what your applying for and who the lender is. Vantage means really nothing. But having Credit Karma to keep track of your reports is fine. Plus CK spanks MyFICO when it comes to alerts on certain items like HP's and other alertable events.

https://www.myfico.com/credit-education/credit-scores/fico-score-versions

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

There are 25 different scores. The normal FICO 8 which most used. Vredit Cards from some banks use FICO Bankcard 8. Mortgages us another FICO score model. Depending on who the institution is and what your applying for. It may differ. Like NFCU uses FICO 9. It all depends on what your applying for and who the lender is. Vantage means really nothing. But having Crewdit Karma to keep track of your reports is fine. Plus CK spanks MyFICO when it comes to alerts on certain items like HP's and other alertable events.

https://www.myfico.com/credit-education/credit-scores/fico-score-versions

Interesting.  Just realized that the identity product I get thru my job provides "credit scores" for all three bureaus.  However, a closer look reveals it is a Vantage score 3.0.  I went to TransUnion's website and saw the pitch to pay $24.95/month for their product, only to see this:

Notice you only get your VantageScore.Notice you only get your VantageScore.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.