Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Financial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GM Financial

We are considering letting go a car that was discharged in our Chapter 7.  Anyone have any experience with GM Financial and how to get rid of the car or how long they will take to come get it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Re: GM Financial

I don't have experience with them, but chances are they won't get it till after the discharge.  Just make sure you let your attorney know your intentions, he or she will advise you to contact GM and make arrangements.

Since it's in a BK they should make arrangements with you to pick it up, there is a chance of a random repo but unlikely.  That being said, I'd keep driving it, payment free, for as long as you can.  Don't keep anything in it and be prepared for a cab ride home or to call someone for a ride, and save your payment for a cash car or a nice down payment after discharge.

Oh, and whatever you do keep it insured.  Any damage to the car before you file is covered, if it gets totalled after you file it's your problem, and if you don't have insurance that wouldn't be a good way to start your clean slate.

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 2 of 4
djnikki1
New Contributor

I had a car with them that I put into my Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  They do random repos.  Watch out because we moved from Georgia to Colorado and we were not here for even 3 weeks before they took my vehicle with almost all of our clothes in it and my son's medical equipment. My lawyer was of no help.  Hopefully, you have a better lawyer than mine that will not screw you.  Their lawyers file for early release from the automatic stay of 45 days.  Mine was taken 3 weeks after my 341 hearing.

Filed Chapter 13: 9/12/2014, Converted to Chapter 7: 03/25/2015, 341 Meeting: 04/15/2015, Discharged: 07/28/2015
Score from MyFico (08/04//2015): Trans - 507 / Equifax - 554 / Experian - 516
Current Scores: Trans - 611 / Equifax - 562 / Experian - 564
Goal: 650 after 6 months; 700 after 1 year

Current Credit: Kohls - $300, NY&CO - $350, JCrew - $350, Barclay Rewards - $750, Barclay Visa with Apple Rewards - $2000, Credit One - $300, Rally Motor Credit - $14,500, Student Loans - $15000, Ann Taylor - $250, Express - $250, West Elm - $2000.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys.  We did not reaffirm but continue to make payments on the car.  We have not made the July payment that was due the 29th and are going back and forth on if we want to keep the car or not.  My husband rarely drives it since he has a work car, so it is sitting in the garage and we make $320 payments for the car to just sit.  We were discharged 7/23.  Have not heard a word from them.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.