Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after?

tag
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

How long after?

My mom filed a chapter 7 bk and I want to help her rebuild her credit. Do you have to wait until iti's discharged to start trying to rebuild?

TIA

Cheryl

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

Re: How long after?

Don't apply for anything until after the discharge. While you are waiting for the discharge you can start disputing the accounts  to show included in bankruptcy with $0 balance. That will help you be able to apply for something as soon as you have the discharge. 

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 2 of 10
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@simi_go wrote:

Don't apply for anything until after the discharge. While you are waiting for the discharge you can start disputing the accounts  to show included in bankruptcy with $0 balance. That will help you be able to apply for something as soon as you have the discharge. 

How long do Chapter 7's take to discharge?

Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 3 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@simi_go wrote:

Just curious...how do you know that creditors won't object when they have their say at the creditor's meeting? What is the basis for dispute prior to a dicharge of the debt?

Message 4 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@simi_go wrote:

It depends on whether or not assets are involved. I filed ch7 in mid-September of 2012 and my discharge date is April 8th, 2013. If little to no assets are involved, the time period is going to be be much shorter.

Message 5 of 10
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

@simi_go wrote:

It depends on whether or not assets are involved. I filed ch7 in mid-September of 2012 and my discharge date is April 8th, 2013. If little to no assets are involved, the time period is going to be be much shorter.

@ezdriver wrote:

@simi_go wrote:

Good to know. She is on SS# and the only assest she has is a car.  So you would say 6 months?

Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 6 of 10
morganfofo
Valued Member

I had no assets and I filed march 18, 2014. Meeting of creditors was April 22, 2014. There is a 60 day waiting period for creditors objections.. Mine was up on June 23 (Monday). My discharge was available on PACER yesterday morning with an official discharge date of June 25.
EQ: 603 as of 6/1/15
TU: 608 as of 6/1/15
EX: 612 as of 6/1/15

Gardening til January 2016!
Message 7 of 10
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

@simi_go wrote:

Just curious...how do you know that creditors won't object when they have their say at the creditor's meeting? What is the basis for dispute prior to a dicharge of the debt?

It shouldn't matter if they object or not. While you are under bankruptcy protection your accounts should show IIB or like some of mine "Bankruptcy CH7 Petition filed" with a $0 balance.

Message 8 of 10
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Simi, it is not law that accounts be updated in your CR while your discharge is pending. A consumer finance attorney told me that.

Only after discharge should the accounts reflect IIB and 0 balance, though a majority update prior.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 9 of 10
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:
Simi, it is not law that accounts be updated in your CR while your discharge is pending. A consumer finance attorney told me that.

Only after discharge should the accounts reflect IIB and 0 balance, though a majority update prior.

Well my lawyer told me basically what I am telling others......wouldn't surprise me to see that he is wrong though......I have the absolute dumbest attorney of all time it feels like.  They day I get my discharge, tomorrow hopefully, I am going to blast him on yelp and anything else I can find in hopes that no one else has to deal with him. 

But thanks for the clarification.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.