Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journey through Chapter 13

tag
wvgirl_sunshine
Established Member

Re: Journey through Chapter 13

I saw my lawyer july 1 concerning my base plan...we have paid all but one creditor and we owe 125.96 and our trustee is making monthly payments of 18.36....I needed to know what happens if we havent met the base plan....He said we owe at least 8 more payments..Our 5 years ended in may of this year, he says our trustee will take the extra money (18,800.00) and continue paying our creditors more than the percentage that was agreed upon...I was hoping that May was the last payment made, but it looks like we will be going 5 years and 8 mths...

Never Look Down on Anyone Unless You are Helping Them Up
Message 91 of 99
clayton0417

Just wanted to update my story.  In April, I contacted my lawyer's office to ask about buying a house.  We were told if we could find a lender that would approve us, he would submit our request to the trustee's office.  I found a mortgage lender (thanks to myFICO community) who gave us a conditional loan approval for $206,900 pending the trustee's approval.  Our projected mortgage payments would be double the amount we paid for rent.  Our lawyer didn't think our trustee would approve the loan or new housing payment, but I submitted an amended  budget to show we could make the payment without modifying or jeopardizing our current Ch13 payment.  A week later, the trustee sent us an approval letter.  We did a VA loan with 0 down payment, and got the builder to pay all of our closing costs and prepaids.  We started this process on April 17th and closed on new 4-bedroom 2.5 bathroom home on June 21st.  http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Lot-106-Griffin-Park-Hinesville-GA-31313/2116945669_zpid/  My scores in my signature are my current scores, but when my application was submitted for preapproval; my mid-score was 603.  I was able to get First Premier deleted during the mortgage process and my scores went up. So to those of you may feel discouraged, I'm proof that home ownership is possible during a Ch13.  

Starting Score: EQ-473
Current Score: 3 Jun 14 EQ-649, TU-612, EX-636
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 92 of 99
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

wvgirl,

Thanks so much for sharing but I am so, so sorry! Smiley Sad I had no idea they could make you/us pay for more than the agreed upon 60 months. I thought that was the law, that you couldn't be made to pay more than 60 months. Did you miss any payments or is there anything exceptional about your case that may explain this? I am sure that you were counting down those months (as are we) and that had to have been a terrible blow. Praying that these last eight months/payments go by quickly.

((HUGS))

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 93 of 99
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Clayton, 

That is awesome news! Congratulations and best wishes in your new home! Thanks for sharing!

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 94 of 99
wvgirl_sunshine
Established Member

Thanks Math_Rocks for your kind words....i too thought 60 mths was the maximum that you could go.  we did get behind 2 payments in may 2012 but made them up by august 2012...we had  wv workers comp file a claim on a 9,000.00 debt that we did not owe,  but cannot prove, or get anyone to listen to us about it,  but that raised our mthly payment 60.00...Our trustee has changed our base 3 times,  and the paralegal said looks like 8 more mths...I said I thought 60 was the max, and he said the trustee can go as long as she wants...looks like she has set it at  69 mths, so you have to pay that which amounts to 18,800.00 and she will just send that extra money to the creditors that are listed.  they agreed at the beginning of this process for 12% but looks like they will now get 30%..This whole process has just given me such a enormous headache,  I look forward to when it is over....Everyone have a great day!!

Message 95 of 99
Arwen
New Visitor

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who is sharing their journey with Ch 13. My husband and I have just had our free consultation with an attorney and feel that it could be a good solution for us. It is extremely helpful to read all of these posts so I can make a list of questions and concerns for our attorney.

I am also very curious as to why the payment and time would be increased - definitely something we will discuss with our attorney if we go this route.

Message 96 of 99
wvgirl_sunshine
Established Member

Can you add new debt once you are in bankruptcy?

We are in a chapter 13 payment plan which ends in January 2014...I had a accident where I fell in a parking lot and the large corporation refuses to pay 37,000.00 worth of medical bills..Can I add these bills to our chapter 13 plan even though we are close to being discharged?

**Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up**

Message 97 of 99
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Re: Can you add new debt once you are in bankruptcy?

Oh dear! I'm so sorry to hear this! 

I do NOT think that you can add new debt this far into your bankruptcy but hopefully others will chime in here. In fact, I think this is one of the "downsides" of filing that another poster argues: that once you file, if you suddenly have huge medical debts, you can't file again. I hope that it all works out for you and that you completely recover both financially and physically.

Message 98 of 99
LynGene
New Contributor

Ahhh... It is so nice to read the experiences of others!  I am so darned ashamed & aggravated that I'm even here.  I'm 23 months into my ch 13 60 monther.   I somehow managed to run across this searching for what to do when you total your vehicle that is being paid outside of the plan.  I guess I get to walk to work next week (51 miles) while I figure this out.  lol  I have an incompetent lawyer that I'm in the process of trying to change.  *sigh*  Thank you for letting me vent!

Message 99 of 99
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.