Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd data points post BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd data points post BK

Hello! I've read a lot on this fourm but never posted before. I filed ch 7 a year and one month ago. I had a lot of unsecured cards, from all the major banks. I currently have a credit one (400), reflex (750), destiny (300), Kohls (300), Self secured with the credit builder loan. One tradline survived the bk and am still using it today, firestone cfna (3200). I had Fingerhut before but didn't include them, because I didnt owe them anything when I filed, they reported my account IIB anyway... I got a letter from them asking me to call to re-establish my credit account with them. I called, they said I could never have a fingerhut account again, in my life. My house is through US Bank, reaffirmed, they no longer report my mortatge. Its completely gone off my reports. They said they will never report it again, even though it was reaffirmed, it is their policy to never show it again on any reports. So I guess I don't have to worry about paying that late! I've wanted to get back in with Discover and Capital One, but they both said no on prequalify. I have a checking account with Discover, and when I log it it shows my credit card with them (that was discharged) is past due. Reps had no idea how to remove it from my profile. I'm guessing when (if) it ever drops off my online banking profile with them then it would be a good indicator that I could get back in with a secured IT

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Odd data points post BK

I also had a car loan that I let go in the bk, from a local credit union. Still had a savings "membership" account with them that I used for a while, until someone from their back office called me about 6 months after discharge and said "I'm not allowed to ask you to pay the discharged amount left over after we sold your car, but if you don't pay it you can never do buisness with us again, until you do" then closed my account and took what little money was in it.

Message 2 of 5
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

Discover stating you have a past due debt is going against the court ordered discharge... I believe so at least. The CU I'm not 100% positive about, but normally they have a cross collateral clause and that gets swept up in the bk.
BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kr43002 wrote:
Discover stating you have a past due debt is going against the court ordered discharge... I believe so at least. The CU I'm not 100% positive about, but normally they have a cross collateral clause and that gets swept up in the bk.

Yeah, I think with Discover, they just don't know how to disconnect the banking and credit online profiles, so that the old credit card debt doesn't show up when I log in, they said its an IT thing they can't fix, just have to wait until it "drops off." When I check my account I have to scroll passed the X amount past due, call us immediately message. I didn't know about the cross collateral thing, I'm glad Discover doesn't have that, since my main checking account is with them.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I also had a car loan that I let go in the bk, from a local credit union. Still had a savings "membership" account with them that I used for a while, until someone from their back office called me about 6 months after discharge and said "I'm not allowed to ask you to pay the discharged amount left over after we sold your car, but if you don't pay it you can never do buisness with us again, until you do" then closed my account and took what little money was in it.

Yes, if you're about to file bankruptcy against a bank you have deposit accounts with, you need to get the money out and close the account beforehand. Preferably before you even start missing payments on the loan.

Otherwise, they can take money in the account to satisfy however much they can of what they lost on the loan.

When I was talking to an immigration lawyer about my husband last year, he said "No problem. Chase will open a bank account with an immigrant." when I mentioned I was having trouble with Ally, who wouldn't.

I said, "Well, my finances aren't looking so good and I owe Chase a lot of money. I probably shouldn't open a deposit account there.".

That was before I knew that they could drain your bank account if you defaulted and/or filed bankruptcy. It just seemed logical that if you owe a bank a lot of money, you shouldn't keep your money in that bank.

Once your money is somewhere outside their direct control, they're just another bankruptcy creditor that gets whatever they get.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.